Rumor: US EV credit to increase to $10,000

Haha yea I’m not saying they should do it, just don’t know what usually happens. I for one just want some sort of resolution, so if it doesn’t pass we can be done with it.

Not anymore.

1 Like

No vote today on the bill. Moderates (thankfully) want to wait for a CBO score and see what the actual impact and total cost would be. Hopefully this all gives them more time to actually read the bill, since it’s over 2,000 pages long.

2 Likes

Mmm hmm. Unfortunately since they gave themselves another month+ with the CR/debt ceiling, anything sooner than the night before is a gift, no matter what they say.

The time to do this (whatever this is) was NLT 30/Sept, the longer it goes, the smaller it will likely get.

Which isn’t unreasonable, but recalculating something this big over and over each time some element is changed won’t make that process any faster or the outcome smaller. Which is why in normal order, in ye olden times, the various bits of budget went through committee and got scored, and then rolled-up into an omnibus that was voted up or down.

Trying to legislate BBB the same way we did TARP (during a crisis) is meeting the expected resistance, and I’ll be shocked if it passes before 11:59pm before a midnight government shutdown.

My brain cannot comprehend why a vote on a 2000 page bill is even a thing. I would vote no just out of spite for it even getting to that size.

2 Likes

It’s not like 1 person wrote 2000 pages. There is a committee and subcommittee that authors each section of bill. The combined work of the committees is collapsed into the final 2000 page document.

If this was source code I laugh at your 2000 pages. For example windows 10 is 800K pages.

1 Like

I understand, but it’s pretty concerning that a vote can even exist on something this large. Like how much stuff makes it through that people aren’t even aware of.

Every day I see more Taycans, Niros, ID.4s, Mustangs, e-trons (a sweet blue GT this morning!) etc.

No one has the volume that Tesla has, but plenty of people dislike the interface, and even more don’t want to own what every one else has…

We’ll see how this shakes out over the next decade…choice is usually good for consumers!

1 Like

That would be like telling my team of developers I need to personally debug all their code. A senator is just a leader of a team. If you don’t trust your team to execute on your vision you need better staffers.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s the same comparison. The point is that hundreds of people are contributing to this, and then it becomes a final bill, and everyone is voting on without knowing the content that others contributed. It’s not about trusting your team, it’s about trusting the over 100 other people who were allowed to throw their nonsense into this. Do you really just all agree to blindly vote yes so that you all get your piece?

2 Likes

They get a redlined version. They don’t re-read 2000 pages every time it’s edited.

None of them have read the whole thing in it’s entirety regardless, I’m not suggesting they need to read it all every time, but that theres no way possible anyone has ever read it all.

2 Likes

Which is how it always is. But, you can bet their team of staffers/lawyers have.

Edit: unless they’re not needed for passage. Those voting yes know what they’re voting on

Doesn’t make it right. The idea of legislators passing legislation without reading it is a mind boggling fact of Washington. No, I don’t believe there staffers will have read it all before passing it.

2 Likes

I’d be more concerned if they weren’t deferring to the experts employed by Congress to write, read, summarize, and explain the bills. I’m pretty sure some of these newer legislators can’t read/write.

I don’t think you understand how many highly educated people they have at their disposal. Not just their own staffers but those that work for the entire house, party, or committees who are experts in their respective fields. Any good leader knows how to delegate and rely on the expertise of their employees.

With all that said they don’t blindly vote yes on these bills. Have you ever looked at an actual bill? 2000 pages is really like a normal 4-500 page word document which wouldn’t take that long to read in its entirety. They’ve been working on this bill forever and each new draft would have changes highlighted and text stricken showing exactly what was added and what was taken out and they would be briefed on the changes.

Yes, there are people voting blindly on these bills. I view blindly as anything less than knowing every provision they are voting for. I understand who is at their disposal, that doesn’t mean that every member actually knows all of what they are voting for. You see it over and over again, people get interviewed on what is in the bill and besides top-line items they have no clue.

2 Likes

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

As an interesting aside, I’ve gotten into a few debates in the 4xe groups lately over if the 4xe is covered by the ev credit or not because the official gov summary of the bill has the wrong information. Can’t even trust their own summaries to cover the bill.

1 Like

Well you can’t really expect them to memorize it. They would read it looking for anything they didn’t agree with and would rely on their team to call out any issues.

That’s interesting. Could be an old summary since it seems like they’re constantly changing it.

Edit: looks like the summary hasn’t been updated by CRS since September.