Roof Rack Recommendations

Not to long ago I moved to SoCal with my Audi S4. As one does when moving down here, I took a few surf lessons and decided that I want to buy a board/roof rack. Since myS4 is leased, I don’t really want to deal with all the sand/scratches from dropping the rear seats and pushing a board through. The question is what roof rack should I buy that would be somewhat universal? I plan on leasing an SUV as my next car in a few months and would like to transfer this rack onto my next vehicle.Thanks!

1 Like

If your S4 doesn’t have crossbars, Yakima and Thule both make universal bars, but the feet/clamps are make/model specific. You may want a faring too (for both stickers and wind deflection, I used to have a Subaru RallyPig on mine).

I’ve owned both brands and had great luck. REI sells both, and I think I bought every bar/foot/carrier/rack at an REI over the years. If you aren’t a member, recommend.

As long as you’re talking a year, as I said just swap feet. I thought I’d move mine between leases, but by the second you are putting dirty clothes on after a shower - depending on how much it’s in the elements.