Review on returned EV lease

While LH love to lease new car, we also have others who love to buy lease return and save some money. Hopefully this thread will help those to do their research since it will be hard to do a competent ppo for ev right now. Here’s some template:

Make, Model & Trim:

Any special option: (3rd row, winter package, etc)

VIN:

Repair/warranty work:

Issues/defect/accident:

Review: how the car drive, what you like about the car, what you don’t like about the car, will you recommend other for this car?

Confusing title and not sure what you are saying. “Grounded” lease means returned, no?

Pick up their lease return or buy someone else’s lease return?

If it’s their car and they buy it at lease end, then these questions are moot because they like the car, obviously.

Yes, grounded = Return.

Buy someone else’s lease return. I’ll edit it on the original post to avoid confusion.

Not “your” returned lease then :slight_smile:

Buying someone’s lease return is no different than buying someone’s 2-3 yo financed car. Don’t see the point of this topic, IMO

2 Likes

Nor do I but I’m willing to let it ride out

So the purpose of this thread is: I drove my lease to (full disposition, early return of one-pay without penalty, or traded as part of a pull-ahead), here is what I leased, here is what I actually used, review the car and would you recommend/lease again?

Does this include purchases? Third party purchases? Trade-ins outside pull-ahead? Total loss ahead during the lease? Lease buyouts?

Say a little more about how you hope this will be helpful, and to whom (anyone? New users?). You mentioned EVs but is it illustrative of

• who actually keeps a lease to the end? (Few of us anymore)
  • what is leasing well? (This would sample what’s already in Signed and Signed Deals)
  • long term reviews of specific makes/models?

Adjacent: is there a request here for people to either update their “Signed Deals” post 18-48 months later to indicate the closeout transaction and their Long Term Garage review? Or a separate post (e.g. “Sold!”, “Grounded:”, “Towed from a Snowy Offramp”) when they trade the keys for an odometer statement?

Nah, looks like

I’m hoping for this thread to be another resource to inform used ev buyer the history of the car beyond what’s available from carfax or the dealer maintenance record. A PPO is a useful tool to buy used car, however unlike ICE, there’s not many who can evaluate a used ev right now. By sharing your experience on leased ev which you return, it will be a valuable information for others who may be interested to buy those in the used market.

1 Like

I suppose I won’t pass up the opportunity to quantify the # of farts bestowed upon my Bolt’s leather seats after I return it next month

1 Like

:+1:t2::+1:t2:

I updated the tags and title

1 Like

There’s a slight difference. Owning the car 2-3 years you care about it since it’s yours and you want to keep it as pristine as possible for resale. A lease is a rental and resale value is irrelevant.

Car I own: Never leave in the sun, meticulously wash it in winter to prevent rust, for EVs don’t charge to 100%, for ICE, don’t idle for long periods of time. And so forth

Car I rent: Give no shits about any of the above.

Lol yeah my lease hasn’t ever been washed, and my kids beat it up so bad.

Well, that’s you. Some people skip scheduled maintenance on purchased cars to save money or abuse them as rentals. I treat either car the same way - as I owe it. My point was that on average there is no difference. You won’t know the whole story, most likely.
I looked at a privately owned 3yo/30k miles car from Carmax. Looked great in the photos, with services performed. But it smelled vinegar and had scratches inside and outside (they had a dog riding in it, I think). And there was also some nasty chips on the hood. On the other hand, I sold my spotless leased 19 S60 with 9k miles in 2022

1 Like

I don’t get that. Why would you want to drive around in a dirty car? Why not just have a clunker then? Or am I missing something?

My X7 I own is always garaged. My AMG EQE is always parked outside. Neighbors must be thinking why am I parking this fancy car outside under the sun and bird shit all day.

2 Likes

Are you sure is not because the X7 happens to be your wife’s daily driver? :stuck_out_tongue:

Bargain bin EQS EV with magno paint is the clunker. It costs less than an Accord. Paying for a car wash would increase my monthly cost by like 10% haha.

Best part of magno paint is it always kind of looks dirty. At least I keep it away from bird droppings.

@djrabbi don’t forget to put your Etron GT return here. I’ll be interested to see how much Audi will list those Etron GT return as CPO.

Im considering buying out etron if they offer me a realistic price. I see them going for 60-70s. Etron is super fun to drive and I’ll surely miss it

1 Like

It definitely is one of the best looking ev sport sedan right now.