Returning BMW lease

Unfortunately, right now none of your choices is optimal.

Even if you turn the car in you’re going to have to buy tires (if you’re below the 4/32 guideline). And isn’t your routine maintenance included for 4 years/50k, so another year? Regardless, oil changes aren’t that expensive. :slight_smile:

As much as I was looking forward to turning in my 2019 BMW and getting something new, I know that buying mine out was the right decision… if for no other reason than it let me take my time to decide what to do next.

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t see this til now. It’s a 2019 G20 M-sport.

What list? Can you direct me to this list? Thanks

The list has no vehicles on it.

2 Likes

My two cents on all these “buy out the lease, hold it for 12 months and then sell it” may not work out how people think. I am in the same situation with my BMW lease expiring in 6 months. My fear is that after this car price craziness subsides (in 12 months or whatever), you will not be able to ‘sell’ that car you purchased for anything approaching what you paid for it. As a trade-in you will get trashed (and likely a bad trashing since I expect car values to drop). And you will have a car w/o a warranty (brands other than BMW where the warranty expires in 36 months). You will be out thousands on that purchase/trade-in so maybe, just maybe, its worth leasing again now (albeit at higher prices. You may come out ahead in the end (you will spend more than on the current lease but not lose as much by buying/selling/trading your current vehicle). Besides having a new car with new warranty and latest technology.

2 Likes

Which luxury cars are the best value/terms to lease now, relatively?

Let me answer you more directly. NONE. Any luxury car right now has no rebates, no incentives, most likely ADM and will be the roughly 2-3% range. 3% x 36 = 108% over 3 years…get it?

Most cars are BUY BUY. The only dealer giving any real discounts is Chrysler. So do you want a 4xE, a Jeep Grand Cherokee L, or a Pacifica? I heard Nissan is giving some incredible 18m deals, but only on the Leaf, Frontier, or Murano.

Does that help?

1 Like

Sorry for the misunderstanding, out of all the luxury cars, which one has the BEST deals, relatively? I understand that luxury cars are HIGH now, but which luxury cars have the best MF, Residual, etc, relatively?
For example, which could you get a better deal? a BMW vs an Audi, as a better deal, relatively?

There is no value because many people have higher amounts of money and there are less cars due to global pressures.

Across the board it’s bad, honestly I’d recommend picking up something that will hold its value long term and consider a finance or lease depending on the terms of eitherz

For leasing? None
For buying? Anything with a federal rebate.

If you lease anything now, you will probsbly make more money buying it and selling it in 3 years.

Are you that focused on a lower payment that you will take a bad lease deal?

1 Like

Thanks! Which cars hold their values long term generally now? Such as?

So you recommend buying/financing a new luxury car now instead for 3 years and then selling it? How do you know what will happen in 3 years?
Which cars have a federal rebate btw?

Look at historical trends. Generally speaking the more desirable cars are going to be worth more in a few years. So if you can get one of those type of cars at msrp. Then that should minimize the damage after 3 years.
I think the M line for bmw, RS line for Audi, amg line for Mercedes, etc should hold value pretty well. I went for this strategy as well and got myself a P suv. Hopefully I can get rid of it after 2-3 years at a minimal loss. I was able to get a decent trade in for my gls and got the P suv at msrp.

This is my conundrum. I’ve got a 2018 330i and the buyout is good compared to current used pricing, but I’m afraid the value is going to drop like a rock in a year or so, especially due it being an F30.

I have a 2020 x3 m40 with 68k miles on it. Paid for 45k.

Deff no equity but I could pay $5000 to return it or sell it for less then I have in equity. Problem I have is I can’t find any comps to price against because nobody has that many miles on a. 2020 from what I can tell lol

$45k is the lease payoff? You could do a buy-out and probably get close to that depending on shape right now selling it private party but you’re going to have to pay sales tax depending on where you are. I’d probably try other BMW dealers to see who can get you closer to the payoff.

Be happy with that as that kind of miles would’ve made you $10-15k in the hole in normal times.

My lease ends in July 2022. I can extend my current lease until late September. I am looking to lease a new luxury car. Are lease prices going to increase or decrease by September? Predictions?
I am wondering if I should just lock in a lease now or wait more? TYIA

Been trending up for a while at this point. Are you thinking about a new BMW?

Are you asking if we can see into the future? I promise if I could I would not be spending a PERFECT weekend selling cars.

4 Likes

Is that a serious question? Nobody knows what will happen in 3 years, you can only go off your gut or make some assumptions.

You can easily Google ‘vehicles eligible for federal tax credit’ and answer this yourself.