Returning a lease car then purchasing it before it goes to auction

Getting close to the end of my wife’s lease on her Prius V. She likes it so we are thinking of just buying it. Is it possible to game the system and return it then come back and buy it at a lower price before the dealer sends it to auction?

When you return it, it belongs to TFS. The dealer can buy it from TFS to resell or TFS will send it to auction.

2 Likes

Thanks @Jon. 20202020

In the unlikely event your very good car got returned and Toyota dealer didn’t CPO but sent it to auction, who do you know with a dealer/broker license who is registered with Manheim or your local auction dealer?

sometimes those cars take months to show up on manheim, and even get shipped around. Might even be hard to track said car. I have access to the manheim website, there’s a ridiculous amount of cars that go through there.

1 Like

True, the leasing companies look at where each car will bring the most money and ship the car all over the country to maximize their sale price. My VW GTI was turned in in Florida and was auctioned off 6 weeks later in Arizona

2 Likes