Return Bolt lease with PNO registration

I have a Bolt EUV lease which was a replacement for my recalled Bolt. Due to the replacement, there’s a small misalignment between the registration renewal (mid May) and lease end (mid June) of a little over a month. As the registration is nearly $600, it doesn’t make financial sense to renew for the whole year for that month of driving.

I originally thought I may purchase the Bolt, but with EV prices drops and a major rodent damage repair on the carfax I no longer want to purchase it. Even with the 10-day California DMV resale grace period, I’m not sure it makes sense to buy then sell the car. It’s a EUV Premier with only 7k miles and a $21k RV.

If I PNO the registration, don’t drive the car, then get a DMV one-day moving permit for the lease return it will be my cheapest legal return. Will I get penalized by GM financial for having a PNO registration on the car on lease return?

Any other ideas?

Why not see what a Chevy dealer will offer to buy it for before the registration expires?

Back in 2020 I made the final three payments on my Volt before returning it three months early without any issues. Check with GM Financial.

2 Likes