Return BMW lease early, who eats payments?

Love my bmw but the standard seats are shockingly bad. SensaTec is gross. Dakota/Vernasca should be standard at least. You have to upgrade to Nappa before it becomes comparable to standard Acura or Lexus.

1 Like

If your tires are below 4/32" tread depth anywhere across the tire, you’re probably already toast. I don’t know BMW’s requirement for tread depth, but that’s basically the standard.

that’s the standard for BMW too.

You have to upgrade to Nappa before it becomes comparable to standard Acura or Lexus.

This is just not true. I’ve owned 8 BMW’s, 3 Lexus & 3 Acuras.

Different philosophies.

1. Acura uses cheap “leather”, that feels soft but generally starts to fade, ripple, etc. quickly. = “value”
  2. Lexus does use nice, soft, supple leather - that is designed for old people :slight_smile: = “comfort luxury”
  3. BMW offers Sensatech (instead of cloth in the US) and varying levels of leather. All are more firm, higher quality, more durable, and more sporting that the normal stuff in Lexus & Acura. = “sport luxury”

Also, in some cases, BMW will buy back your car no hassle if your market value is higher than the residual. That doesn’t usually happen because BMW subsidizes so many of their leases (esp on 3, 5, & X3 series), but it can, depending on your car.

My guess is you bought a stripped down 3 series, like a 320 or 328/330. ALWAYS get sport package with BMW and ALWAYS get a premium package. It’s a different car.

I actually prefer the sensatec over the real leather. Easier to clean, doesn’t heat up as much in the summer.

Your number one issue is you are far over miles. You will be dinged with extra mileage charges, no matter whether you turn in early or not. Even if you do a pull ahead or lease another BMW, that will play against you (i.e. they may bake the extra charges/lower residual into your payment).

Also, please consider your mileage when looking for your next lease. Don’t do a 10k lease if you drive 12 or 15k.

As for the tires, they will come after you anyways, early turn in or not, if you are above the wear limit.

Best bet is to prepay the miles right now with BMW, find some cheap used tires on eBay that meet OEM spec, and see if you can buy/lease a cheaper car while you park the BMW (Assuming you can carry insurance on two cars)

Have a 440i w/Dakota. Wife has 5GT w/Nappa. But I’ve had stripped down loaners and previously owned an Acura, and my parents have owned Acuras and Lexuses. I can attest that Acura leather does start to wear. Lexus is as you say “comfort luxury”… which I like. It doesn’t have to be separate from sporty. But do a 5hr road trip in SensaTec seats vs Nappa. There is a difference in how your tuchas feels.

I have heard dealers say that. Haven’t tried it myself but am generally clean.

How can you love a car that has awful seats…lol. I have to say… my current X5 lease expires in Feb '19 and BMW has to understand that there is a lot of competition in this market segment. Further, without a pull-ahead… I’m likely to move on.

A lot of time pull ahead keeps me with the brand. Not having pull ahead seems like a poor decision.