Residual Value After Accident

This is my first leased vehicle (Jeep). We leased it a year ago with the possible intent of buying it at the end of the lease. It was about $55k and if memory serves, the RV after 4 years is $37k. A drunk driver hit it 10 months ago, we were without the Jeep for 6 months (supply chain issues). The claim is still open as we await a few small parts but we can drive it. The “driver”'s insurance is paying for the parts ($10k worth) and covered the rental.

I’m questioning on if there will be an issue at lease turn in. Is my residual value going to suffer? If so, is that a good thing for me if I choose to buy it and a bad thing if I decide not to? I’m curious while the claim is still open, if I should sue for the difference. I read that the leasing company (Ally) probably already did this. Trying to get any guidance from Ally on this is impossible and I don’t want a surprise in 3 years.

Your personal rv will go down. (Your contractual RV will not btw) Turn it in and walk away on lease end

Dont buy the car with an accident on it

2 Likes

Thank you!

+1 - this is one of the benefits of leasing. The bank (leasing company) now has to eat that depreciation. Turn it in and walk away. I hope you and your family were not injured.

some states will allow for the at-fault driver’s insurance to pay for depreciation from an accident

I’ve seen many posts about Diminished Value, but have yet to get concrete proof that a lessee can obtain it.

1 Like

I was referring to the comment on banks eating the dimished value. They’ll get some $ from insurance, lessee doesn’t own the car so no diminished value claim.