Required Credit Checks

Hello,
I am trying to negotiate with several dealers for a 2023 Subaru Crosstrek. Two Autonation reps told me they cannot negotiate without doing a credit check first. Which doesn’t make sense to me since we haven’t negotiated anything. They won’t take my FICO score without running my credit, even though I just ran it myself. One of the Autonation reps told me they go only by Transunion and that they not only need to see the credit score but also my credit history WTF!??? I have very good credit, but why do you need to be in my business of my credit history if my score is good??? The 3rd dealership was not an Autonation dealership and he said his ‘finance person’ won’t allow them to negotiate without a credit pull first due to ‘compliance reasons’. Also, a GM from one of the Autonation dealers said that all vehicles are being negotiated at MSRP (except for the Ascents) and that the only thing they could negotiate is APR and that could only happen if a credit pull is done first.

Is this a new ‘compliance’ thing? Or is it due to the shortages or both?

Thank you!

They don’t have to run your credit. Sounds like they either want to weed out buyers or scare you into buying a car from them since they already ran your credit.

Why are you only looking at autonation dealers? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen brokers advertise discounted Subarus recently in marketplace

1 Like

That’s what I thought. Are you saying they probably ran a ‘soft’ credit check on me already? I haven’t filled out any credit app or provided any other info other than what I am looking for and all through email.

I am working with some non-Autonation dealers and one of them told me the same. That per ‘compliance reasons’ their ‘finance person’ told them a credit pull must be done first. This is in Denver area.

Thank you for the reply!

I don’t think they ran a soft credit check on you. Maybe they think if they run your credit and your score drops a few points, you’ll decide to stick with them?

Don’t run credit checks for negotiations. That is not required! Only run it once you agree on the #s and ready to sign. It’s a hard inquiry and it’s hit usually twice/credit application. One from dealer and the other from lender.

3 Likes

Thank you, that is what I thought. They are taking a hard stance. Even saying thanking your for the opportunity. Like go away and don’t bother me if you don’t run your credit. I am not giving in, but wondering if Denver metro area just doesn’t want to waste their time with people that don’t have good credit.

Possibly? But Share Your Love with a different dealer that isn’t playing games.

Just move on.

You can’t fix stubborn or stupid.

Search the forum for how to get Subaru VIP pricing.

No one on Earth is going to use a consumer-provided credit score for anything.

Also, credit inquiries are meaningless.

Here, though, there is no purpose at this point in the process other than to get you psychologically committed to making a deal.

It’s a cheesy sales tactic and I would take a hard pass and deal with someone less shady, strictly on principle.

2 Likes

Are you negotiating for a purchase or a lease? If the latter, they may want to run your credit check to make sure you qualify for certain MFs before negotiating a lease payment.

Or they will tell OP that if you go to another dealer your Credit will be lower because we ran you a bunch of times. I don’t think your example would ever be true.
Dealers start with the best rate then come back and say ‘so sorry , we need $XXXX down because your credit sucks’.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.