Reorganizing Website Ideas

I have been thinking of a few ideas for the website reorganization to better facilitate information and sharing of the deals and importantly connecting the registered brokers/hackers with potential buyers.

1. Should there by thread forums by State/Region?
  2. Create thread forums by Vehicle Type (Sedan, SUV etc.)
  3. Create thread forums with price points. For examples, if I drill down into search the forum with monthly payments (per LH principle, assuming 0 drive off) and region.
1 Like

My suggestions

1. the forums link from the homepage shouldn’t open a new window
  2. all front page deals should link to forum thread, and not use disqus commenting.

Regarding your ideas

Flyertalk has a lot of subforums and it works for them. I don’t know if it would work here, there isn’t a big enough user base. I wouldn’t do #3 for sure. Too much granularity. I think only #1 makes sense, but it would silo information that would be useful across the country. But I kind of like things just the way they are.

Don’t think the site has enough members to categorize it

I agree … I was only thinking from the point of view that most deals vary statewise or regionally, in which case it becomes difficult to replicate, say a FL with CT deal which then leads to unfounded expectations from buyer’s perspective…

At some point, I think it has to be anchored with sub forums so then we can see the variability of the same car in given region.

again just some random ideas…

true on less members but the site is growing … the organization can only help it grow more imo

1 and 2 can be done if you search by tags (if users actually tagged though).

isn’t it possible to do a pull down menu for an opening post that requires to select a state and car make, basically forcing the tag that way. Should take care of no 1 and 2.

No to all 3. Too many subforums would be created most of them would be dead.
Don’t fix whats not broken.

Yea it’s great here right now the way it is. God forbid some people actually have to do some research to save thousands. :laughing:

1 Like

Trying to start a new post, website won’t let me. If this is intentional for new users, why isn’t it mentioned somewhere?

Issues I’ve experienced:

1. Still can’t figure out how to quote someone. The quote tags don’t work as I would expect.

2. If I reply to someone else’s comment, it doesn’t always show it as a reply.

3. Because of the first two items, it’s hard to follow who is replying to whom in a given thread. Reading the Trophy Garage post is maddening as a result; I have no idea who subsequent comments are referring to.

4. Why can’t the site keep me logged in?

5. While categorization might be overkill, some loose form of organization might be helpful. Maybe tagging?

6. It would be super helpful if LH or someone else had a repository of MF and residual information. I know this is available on Edmunds Forum, but it’s a ridiculously inefficient process of having to ask the forum admin and then wait for his/her reply. It’s 2018, why isn’t this stuff just published? It’s obviously not a secret if you can ask for it and get it, right?

@49er

1. It’s easy. Just highlight the text and it will be quoted.

2. That only happens when you are replying to the last message in the thread. This has been reported, but doesn’t look like it’s being looked at.

3. Once you understand the format, it’s fairly easy to read.

4. I haven’t noticed this issue on mobile (iPhone).

5. Tagging is available, but it’s up to users to use to help make this overall forum experience better.

6. Access to the info costs a lot of money.

I think the number of categories now is perfect. I hate forums where I have to drill down and figure out what’s where in which of a hundred categories.

My biggest pet peeve with this forum: Threads with hundreds of posts take forever to load and it’s real easy to get lost and have really old threads with no activity for over a year suddenly pop up on the main page.

There really should be like a 90 day lifespan for a topic or something, or have the replies show up reddit style so it’s easier to keep track of what’s what and who’s talking to who and what the context for whichever comment that person was talking about and so on. It shows those things now but it’s like one giant long list that you’ve got to scroll through, and then it loads more and suddenly jumps to god knows where and you can get completely lost sometimes.

Ok, looks like I now know how to reply with a quote!

I guess we just disagree about #3.

Regarding #6, maybe there can be a workaround…At some scale (not sure if LH is there yet), maybe LH can get this information directly from the leasing companies. I would think it would be in their interest to drive awareness of their programs, and LH is a good vehicle to do that. (all puns intended)

1 Like

Revisiting this topic – we are now mandating at least 1 tag for Share Deals and RV/MF and 2 for Marketplace and Dealer/Broker Reviews. We prefer further organizing topics by regions, types, and makes through tags instead of categories so the forum is not too clustered.

Moving forward we will allow only @industry_folks to create new topics on Marketplace and Dealer/Broker Reviews and create a separate sub-category for private lease transfers so that there is a clear demarcation between commercial and private deals.

6 Likes

Can we separate registered brokers from dealers (i.e. Registered Broker or Registered Dealer titles)? The more we get the harder it is to remember or figure out who’s who.

5 Likes

Good idea. Let us see how we should best implement the split.

1 Like

Seems like trusted_hackrs (or at least me) can’t move existing private Marketplace posts from the regular Marketplace to the sub private category.

Maybe they forgot to tell you something :grin:

Try editing the first post of the topic.

Still doesn’t let me edit title or move a post that’s currently in the main Marketplace section.