Rental Car Hacking?

Be careful of some of the international exceptions on credit card rental insurance. Usually most countries are covered except a few I do not remember now.

Rental24H is a very good company, if for you it is still relevant. They seem to have good bonuses for long-term rentals!

Another vote for Autoslash. I used them a few times, and they almost always beat other places (however Costco surprisingly offered better pricing couple time for Hawaii locations).

i’ve had absolutely zero luck with Autoslash and i prob tried 10 times.

can you give an example? LAX rental fees are very high

Mexico is definitely one to get the insurance. If you’re in an accident and can’t pay to have the car fixed on the spot, the policia will throw your ass in jail, no questions asked.

i use this, flat rate for whole rental, usually about 15-20 bucks

I had the Amex before, it’s an automatic flat rate every time you make a rental off the card correct? Thanks

Not sure if you ever heard of Turo but its where people rent cars…there is even a lot at LAX
https://turo.com/rentals
VRBO for car rentals

yes, you activate it once on the card and then every time you use it to rent a car it automatically gets used.

very interesting, didnt know they had a lot.
I might have to try it if i an find a car that allows enough miles to drive.

Just wanted to chime in on my recent experience using Audi’s Silvercar rental service out of LAX. I set up a new account with a referral code that gets me a $25 Visa card upon my first rental, plus used a free-2 days rental promo off minimum 4 day+ rental on a Q7 for a 4-day rental to Las Vegas. They have an agreement with Lyft for transportation to/from LAX and their off-site location.

The total for the rental was only $360 after the 2 free days, plus I got a $100 credit on my AMEX for fulfilling a $100 credit on $350+ Amex purchase through Silvercar. Net everything out and that’s $235 on a Q7 rental car that had only 1,100 miles on it. That’s cheaper than a compact car for the same dates! Loved the car too. It had free wifi so the kiddies could stream their videos and I got free use of a carseat.

If anyone is looking to try the service and needs a referral code to qualify for the $25 GC, please PM me.

3 Likes

I’ll vote for Sixt. Miami downtown is an amazing location.
Managed to get an E class for 580$/29 days and F type for 780$/13 days.
I’ve noticed that 15-17 day rates are the lowest for some reason.

You can also get a platinum status with Citi Prestige card and it can give you free upgrades up to 2 categories.

I had a horrible experience with Silver car few years ago in NJ when my tire blew up on a highway. Almost drow into semi and got a 2k$ bill. Silver car went straight to Geico ignoring my credit card insurance and even after fixing that - Geico raised my premium :open_mouth: While trying to change the spare, I put my watch into glove box, where I successfully forgot it. Had to call 4 times to 3 different people - and till I involved the corporates - no one could find them… Glad I got it back :slight_smile:

Have liked Silvercar especially in LAX where it is convenient and reasonable. Another alternative is renting through partners. My fave is Avis through Amazon where it often beats National’s price and you get an Amazon gift card at the end. Also renting through B6 or UA occasionally is better discount.

I pay for additional liability and LDW. First, I pass on the cost to my company and its clients (even though I take it when I rent for vacation) Second, all of the credit cards I have, offer secondary insurance. Meaning I have to file a claim with my own insurance first then use the cc to get my deductible back. Pass. And am 5/24’d from Chase Ultimate.

Get an Amex so you can get Amex premium insurance I linked a few posts back which covers you up to about 30 days and it costs less than one day of what you’re paying for LDW insurance and it’s primary coverage.

I haven’t seen that. How does it work and do you have a link?

1 Like

I have an Amex, Amex is secondary. I used to work for Amex and I remember people flipping shit when Avis put $3500 on their Amex and we told them “sorry.”

And again, it generally costs me zero because I pass it on. I can’t bill a client for 30 days but I can for a single rental. As far as myself, my vacation rentals are so rare, I haven’t considered,

im talking about their premium rental car insurance product, it’s primary insurance and usually costs less than $20 per rental. Not the one that’s free and automatically comes with every card.