Registration due 1 day after the lease end

My lease ends on December 7th and the registration is due on December 8th. The car is using personalized plate (registered to me not the car).

Do I have to pay the registration fee when I return the car on December 7th (1 day before it’s due)?

What proof will yeh dealer give me when I return the car, in case DMV messed up and pursued me for the registration?

EDIT: to clarify, I am referring about the registration fee, not personalized license plate fee. For the personalized license plate, it is tied to me and not the car per CA. I can fill out Form Reg 17 to retain the plate.

If it’s registered to you and not the car, why don’t you just pay for the renewal and have it transferred to your next car or get a reimbursement check?

If you turn in your plates same day as your car it shouldn’t be a problem

After you turn in the car you go on CA dmv website and say you traded the car into the dealer you grounded it with. That covers your registration.

Also you cannot get a refund of DMV fees, i tried on a 39m lease and they said tough luck

That’s not how registration works in CA. It’s tied to the vehicle, not the plates, so paying it would just be lighting $500+ on fire.

Forgot to mention, remove the plates when you turn the car in, those belong to you

Depends on the state. Plates go with the car in CA.

Half correct, Poster is in CA and has Personalized plates, Poster has the right to remove personalized plates in California.

If they weren’t personalized then they go with the car.

If you want to keep the plates and/or reassign them to a new car- remove the plates from the car, use dmv form, I think Reg-17. Fill it out as retention and send to DMV with $43 check to keep them in your name for next year.

If you are getting a new car from the same dealer, they should be able to do the same for for you but do reassignment and submit to DMV with new car registration fees and you should get registration and stickers for your personalized plates.

Is this the “Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability”?

If yes, it asked for:

• the “buyer’s” information - is this the dealer’s name or car manufacturer?
  • selling price - not sure what to make of this…

I am not getting a new car from them, just a simple lease return. I will take the personalized plate.

Will the dealer notify DMV that the car is no longer registered to me?

That’s what I thought, too. Will there be a paperwork given by the dealer to show that the car is no longer registered to me?

I want to make sure DMV will not suddenly go after me for the registration after I return the car.

You can use this form to retain interest in plates:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/06/reg17.pdf

Use this link to release liability:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/nrl/nrlApplication.do

Fill out a release of liability as soon as you turn it in

1 Like

Depends on which plate-retention fee is $38 on the ELP :call_me_hand:
I retained mine and only paid $38
*Correction: Mine was a 1960’s Legacy Plate

So the next person that buys that car gets the same plates? (if they weren’t personalized)

Correct. The plate stays with the car.

Looking at that form, what do I fill on these section:

• the “buyer’s” information - is this the dealer’s name or car manufacturer?
  • selling price - not sure what to make of this since this is a lease return, not “selling”

I put GMFS as buyer name-it’s just a formality at this point (Chevy Equinox)
I left it blank on mine I believe

Interesting. I looked at the Notice of Release from my last car and it was filled out by the dealership. This was a lease trade-in (got another lease and the dealer took the old car in) and the buyer’s name was the dealer name.

Now that I think about it, when I do return the car and NOT buying/leasing another one, wouldn’t the dealer fill out the form and gave it to me?