Register Car to PO Box or UPS store?

It is , at least for the Murano S this month. Orlando doesn’t have these incentives either just south Florida .

Odd such a big difference.

If it makes you feel better I am guessing your car insurance and your property taxes don’t have the South Florida/NYC south tax

Very odd, even some of the dealers had no clue what I was talking about and assumed all of Florida was the same.

It’s not a huge deal but I just liked sticking with Nissan because then I get the disposition fee waived and $500 for wear and tear , which adds up. Might look at Mazda or fly to Philly and get one of those amazing Toyota deals.

Sounds like a plan to me. I would be all over it

1 Like

Having a PO Box or UPS Store address on your credit reports can cause issues with some future credit approvals.

This is because it fits a pattern of fraudulent consumer behavior, which doesn’t seem like much of a stretch in this example.

1 Like

I would say not fraud, maybe more like a loophole. How is that any different than the 100s of thousands of corporations that are registered at a single address in Wilmington Delaware for tax advantage purposes?

I had a friend who had a few DWI’s, lost his license for 2years and needed to drive for work, and his atty advise him to get a Mailbox etc. or UPS Store box address in one of the four states that doesn’t share DMV records. He did it, transferred his car registration and pulled a license from that address.

1 Like

And good luck to him in a civil or criminal court of law explaining that. I’m guessing his attorney never put that in writing.

2 Likes

It’s different because one of them isn’t fraud.

3 Likes

This was a very confusing post but at least you did not properly tag me :rofl:

Yes I have dealt with this last month and this month. Tricounty incentives are different than the rest of FL. Someone at NMAC woke up on the wrong side of the bed and decided to prank everyone (including dealers)

1 Like

Is that a typical thing? I had a broker ready to deliver me a murano and called me the day before saying his dealer didn’t realize my zip code didn’t have that rebate

Not sure typical but very confusing. The loyalty is also an issue so be careful. You have to be at your last monthly payment and the existing nissan has to be grounded while signing the new car to claim loyalty. No Infiniti Loyalty as well.

Some of the responses are hilarious to me. Didn’t realize everyone here was an attorney offering legal advice. You can register your car to a PO box or a UPS store as long as they don’t find out what it is and most times they don’t check. You have to use the street address for it obviously. Worst case they’ll reject your application. Your insurance is usually based on where the car is kept and not where it is registered at. I’ve probably had 5-6 cars like that and have never had an issue. And by the way, if I were you, I’d thank that dealer for suggesting this.

Your insurance is based on a “garaging” address. If you make a claim on your policy and the insurance company finds out (which they likely will) that you have your car registered to an address that it is not actually kept at, that is considered a material misrepresentation on your application for insurance. The insurer will get an affidavit from their underwriters saying that the policy would not have been written for the same premium/same coverage at your actual garaging address, as it was when you registered the car at the PO Box.

The policy can then be voided “ab initio” (from the inception of the policy) and it will basically be like you got in an accident without having any insurance. They will refund your premiums paid for the policy period and you will be up sh*t’s creek without a paddle.

Best of luck to you on your insurance fraud ventures though.

What if the OP signs the lease with the mailbox address for incentives purposes and subsequently changes his registration and insurance to his real address? Isn’t it a viable legitimate workaround ?

Ouch! I miss Miami, uncle did that back in the day :slight_smile:

That’s what the dealer was saying and then he said he talked to someone else and that it wouldn’t fly. I didn’t really want to risk it anyway

From what it sounds, Your were probably talking to a salesperson and not a manager or finance person. Any knowledgeable auto industry guy would know that in order to fulfill the banks rebate, they need a copy of clients driver license or regsitration ( loyalty). And atleast for FL both of those need to have a physical FL address. By any chance, lets just say you provide any of those docs with a P.O. box address on, they will ask you for a secondary proof of address. Simple as that.