Rav4 Prime - Are good deals possible?

Or get 4 or 5 :taco:'s and do the opposite

1 Like

Why are you guys talking about ‘boats’ and shortages?
This car came out like 2 months ago. They haven’t even ramped up production and you expect a dealer to give it away at cost?

Hahahaha.

1 Like

$900/mo on a rav4 is a huge chasm away from “at cost”. They’re marking it up and the programs suck… That’s the whole point.

1 Like

When handed the keys to a super rare car, of course they are going to make money on it.
A good leasehacker knows to not go after rare cars because there is not going to be a unicorn to be handed to them, more likely a big fat ‘boat’.

Why not make $900 on it? They won’t get another for 3 more months so making $900 vs Making $300 is just a no brainer.

Ethan was offering 20% above MSRP if I remember right, and this is the same guy who gives out Tacos for about the profit margin of a taco.

2 Likes

Which is exactly why everyone is saying to move on to a different vehicle…

I don’t know what point you’re trying to make here. We are all in agreement that this is a poor lease target.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 3

Except it’s not a super rare car. It’s an inventory constrained production car. I’m sure that will change sooner rather than later, no sense for anyone here to be like one of the lucky folks that paid above sticker for a Civic Si :joy:

1 Like

Just did a quick search for RAV4 PRIME on cargurus.com with nationwide distance. Few dealers are selling @ MSRP. Snatch them before they change their mind.

The other issue with this car is that Toyota is sending mostly if not all fully loaded Rav 4 Primes, with overlapping or duplicative packages. So, even at MSRP, you’re paying for more than what you need.

What do you mean by that? Can you show an example

Allow me to chime in as someone who actually owns a Rav4 Prime (SE, bought at MSRP).

This car is not meant to be a Tesla killer, or the PHEV that ends all EV’s and gasoline cars. It’s Toyota’s way to give the 10 million+ Prius owners and 10 million+ Rav4 owners (worldwide) something to upgrade to when we do drive our Prius/Rav4 into the ground. It’s simply the best and most powerful and efficient hybrid and Rav4 Toyota makes, and Toyota won’t have any problems selling whatever it can produce, if not in the US then worldwide.

Using numbers from Edmunds leasing forum (MF and Res for 36/10), the lease payment would have been $645/month with $4500 Drive off for state of MD (6% tax on whole car upfront). Or one can finance it over 72 months for less (low $600/month) with similar drive off. I purchased mine so I can get the $7500 tax credit, but I can understand how leasing would work better for some.

While this is not your typical hackable car, if you think the depreciation in first year or 2 is less than the $7500 tax refund (some may be qualified for), then this is a very hackable car, just have to buy it to hack it.

1 Like

Westy3d, my Rav4 Prime replaced a Subaru Forester XT, and it can go anywhere a Forester XT can but faster with Prius mileage.

And you better off buying it (finding a SE at MSRP), get the full $7500 tax credit (assuming you qualify), drive it for a year or few, then sell it to do this again (buy another car with EV tax credit).

¿Que?
It is loaded with special bits …not limited to
Poor handling
Over priced
CVT

2 Likes

Has anyone leased a RAV4 Prime? I’m curious if any dealers are rolling in the tax credit into a lease. I had an option for an SE at MSRP, but they wouldn’t roll the tax credit into a lease, and I wasn’t really interested in purchasing so I passed. I wonder if I want a lease, I’m wasting time looking at these.

Probably wasting your time

1 Like

That’s not how it works, no. The Federal credit goes to the buyer, which is the leasing company (not you). In my region, TFS is not passing any tax credit on as an incentive.

Why should they? They were selling out at MSRP in the early days of the shortages. There won’t be deals until nobody wants one, and right now everybody wants one.

1 Like

It’s also a first MY and rarely do you see the Fed Credit pass through on a lease.

Regarding for the price of Prime get 2 cars:

I’m honestly on this train of thinking, getting a Maverick when it comes out as a purchase and leasing a nice SUV or BEV, all together could be less than the $600 some these crazy overpriced hybrid deals.

the dealers has exactly zero choice in this matter, TFS would have to offer this.

2 Likes

The only “deal” on a Rav4 Prime across the country is through one of CULA’s credit unions and paying the marked up MSRP. Our 39/12k RV is 67% on the SE and 65% on the XSE.

If you live in upstate NY, HVCU has MFs as low as 0.00085 for 780+ buy rates and we have a couple Toyota dealers in that area that have stock.

Alliant CU has 0.00117 rates in MI, MN, PA, FL and CO

Metro CU and Rockland FCU both have 0.00130 in MA

Bellco CU has 0.00104 rates in CO

InTouch has 0.00130 rates in MI and 4 counties around the Dallas metro area

SCE FCU has 0.00104 in SoCal (see Cody at Tustin Toyota)

Mission FCU has 0.00087 if you are in San Diego County.

If you live in those areas, PM me and I’ll look to see if any of our signed dealers in your area have stock.

3 Likes