Random Jeep chatter

How is a current 7500 incentive hurting current demand again?

Define 4XE decline. Decline in the value that some 3rd party purchasing companies are offering? Sure. Decline in the volume sold? I haven’t seen any data to suggest that’s true. If anything, volume is increasing month over month (which is tied directly to the decline in offers).

We need to differentiate between sales declining and flip potential declining. Just because the stars are starting to drift out of alignment for flip opportunities doesn’t mean that sales are declining or the vehicle is doing poorly.

2 Likes

It’s not yet, but in a few months it will. Hence my clutch not taking orders anymore.

Decline as in, once the 7500 goes away so does this thread. Like I said, Wrangler buyers will still buy them, we won’t anymore.

1 Like

In a few months, it may. Because it’s an unknown variable that makes a significant difference, brokers aren’t taking orders to mitigate the situation where it comes in later and isn’t available. It’s a (very reasonable) risk reduction strategy.

But yes, I agree that the flipability will significantly reduce without the $7500 unless the programs change drastically… which they might. Jeep still needs to get as many phevs out there as they can to hit cafe targets.

1 Like

Let’s be clear here. It is totally plausible that the 4xe may get $0 of this. The batteries currently aren’t sourced in NA and I’ll be surprised if anyone hits the material sourcing requirements. The only way these will continue to get $7500 is if the gov waives some of the requirements to give industry a time to catch up… which could happen.

Exactly. Great points to remind the crowd of.

Let’s not forget that Jeep is much more invested into these phev’s than simply profiting from the 4xe sale itself. They need to move the volume on these, much more than they need the direct sales dollars and cents.

@Clutch @AutoCompanion @AutoNinjas If I want to order a GC 4xe base/overland now, can I expect it to arrive this year?

Yes - if ordered in September.

2 Likes

I would assume it is at the fault of specific trims and/or parts? I ordered a fairly loaded summit reserve…I think the MSRP was $79,xxx.

The main issue is, there is no current verbiage specifying the MY23 GC will receive the $7,500. The other, likely more pertinent issue, is a MY23 probably won’t be received before EOY. That is half of the reason I had ordered while the MY22 banks were still open. :man_facepalming:

We can order you one, it will be a 2023 model. We don’t have the SOP date for 2023MY yet.

Will it be GC 2022 or 2023? If 2023, it will also arrive this year?

I am not sure yet. My point of contact has reached out to a FCA rep to get some additional details. I will follow up with him tomorrow so I’ll probably have a response for you then ^^

It will be 2022

So many people don’t understand. The 1st question I get asked about most with my Jeep is: That’s a hybrid? I didn’t know they made Jeep hybrids. I explain it is a plug in hybrid that gets 25 miles to a charge. Then they ask: That’s it?

1 Like

Thank you for bringing this up. For as much hell as GM gets for their quality issues, it amazes me that Toyota skates on this constantly. I’ve seen Little Tikes level materials in Toyotas before and nobody ever seems to complain.

2 Likes

Its typical “eyes bigger than their stomach” behavior from consumers. Same reason that everyone NEEDS the 3 row SUV or the biggest truck they can afford. It’s pretty well documented that the average American commuter can survive just fine with current BEV vehicles and infrastructure, they just don’t want to hear it. I’ve said it before, and I don’t recommend it but I was able to make not one, but two BEVs work in my household at one point using nothing but a 110v outlet and and extension cord. Replace that awful setup with a decent level 2 charger and you’re probably golden. It gets dicey for people in urban environments, I get that. Apartment dwellers, etc have it harder for sure. It’s not like they don’t have other obstacles to overcome with the ownership of ICE vehicles in those environments too. These are not insurmountable issues, it’s just a matter of who is going to pay to fix them.

2 Likes

Agree. I test drove a couple Siennas and a Highlander last year before everyone ran out of them and all of them either had rattles already, or misaligned/rough trim parts. Also, every Toyota I’ve driven has just been terribly boring.

2 Likes

There are probably single-digit humans in the world who have legitimately cross-shopped a Wrangler 4xe and a Wrangler 392. Absolutely bananas assessment.

People don’t buy PHEVs for the power. They buy them for efficiency and tax breaks. The average person has literally zero idea how fast their car is relative to other cars or how much horsepower it has.

Also, the 392 starts at over $20k more than the 4xe. C’mon. Did I want to buy a 392 instead of a 4xe? Hell yes I did. Was I ever actually considering spending over 30% more to get one? Not for a second.

5 Likes

anyone else got one coming at gupton and want to set up group shipping to NYC area?