Random Jeep chatter

They said no police report. Minor damage. Just drivers information exchange.

1 Like

Anyone have any strong views on where to take my 4xe for its first free Jeep Wave oil change in the LA area? Looks like Glendale, Russell Westbrook Van Nuys, Downtown LA and Santa Monica are all about equidistant from me and then there are several more in the next distance ring. Glancing at the online reviews, they are across the board the mix of cheerleaders and disgruntled customers you’d expect for anonymous reviews of a dealer’s service department.

it takes up to 30 days to show up on the carfax

2 Likes

I would like to take my 4xe Rubi to a trail. However, everyone has told me that the pinstripes and some scratches are unavoidable.
How do you guys deal with it?
Would it be better to replace my soft-top with the hard-top while on the trail for less damage?

Hello all! I wake up this morning feeling like I got “Koon’d”. I was notified that my Sahara had landed last Friday, 8/19. I submitted credit app and other requested information on Wednesday, 8/24. Several emails back and forth between Koons and I after that. Even had them set me an appointment, advise what to bring, and quote me the payment. I even specifically asked to be sure there werent any issues with approval because I was wanting to avoid any last minute surprises. They assured all was good. All seemed to be on the up and up. I planned to make the trip solo, as my wife has no interest in cars. My credit rating came back as 799, and our household income is ~104k.

I booked my non-refundable flight from Louisville, KY to Ronald Reagan yesterday afternoon. All signs lead to this being a done deal…right?

Well I get a call from Koons at 6:40 last night. “Well we are having an issue getting the lease pushed thru, can you finance instead?” I expressed no interest in finance and explained if no lease, then no deal. They say they’ll call me back. I get the call back from someone else at Koons, stating that the deal is off without a co-signer.

Koons of course hits me with the ever so famous line “we’re not the bank” as if there’s no way to influence the deal and push it thru. So as it sits now, I am down $200 for a non-refundable plane ticket.

Lease Companion has been super cool though and has agreed to refund half of their fee. I used LC for another deal at the end of June with their other DC area dealer, and the deal was flawless. With that said, I can’t say enough good things about LC. Always VERY responsive and helpful in any way.

I have a hard time thinking that there weren’t other motives at work here for Koons to axe my approval and require a co-signer. My credit is essentially flawless and I’ve been able to get loans on any vehicle I wanted with no issues for the past 10 years. Frustrated at the deal, when I was talking to the person from finance, I accused the dealership of being happy the deal fell thru because they can now sell at or above MSRP. To which they replied “no sir, it is actually better for us if the customer who ordered is able to get the vehicle”.

Just a very frustrating deal with Koons…but again…LC IS AWESOME!!

4 Likes

So your out of a car ? And an extra $200 bucks plane ticket? And 1/2 a broker fee?

Props to you for looking at the bright side.

14 Likes

Why just half the broker fee?

3 Likes

Thats part of the terms I agreed to with LC. Half of the fee is refunded if the deal falls thru for credit denial. Full refund only if the dealer doesn’t honor the agreed discounts. I am not the least bit upset with LC. That team has been awesome.

2 Likes

So they are basically in on it. Because you have great credit, and others have reported similar issues. Great credit and “aww shucks, looks like we can’t get you approved”. They (Koons) are lying.

4 Likes

So we can’t approve you for a lesser amount how about we approve you for 3x the amount

Let that sink in…

9 Likes

Credit score is only one part of the approval. Debt obligations reported on credit, recent activity and a lot could factor in. Sounds like CCAP is tightening on their approvals.

The OP could potentially bring in their partner as a cosigner to get the deal through.

As an additional data point, I got Tier 1 when my score was significantly lower but with a higher income. I didn’t expect to get Tier 1 at that time but CCAP did not bat an eye.

Credit approvals are not plain simple as just a score.

I have a lower income and the same score. Been approved for five through CCAP tier 1. How many of these do you hear from Gupton? From other dealers? Wake up on this one

17 Likes

The fact that Koons was more than happy to push me thru on a finance deal that would have had a significantly higher payment, tells me all I need to know. My DTI is well within the specs that I have been told are acceptable from my local banks. I know my debts and income, and there just isn’t any world where I can see that this deal was axed because of anything on my end.

12 Likes

DARCARS did the same thing right before pulling the plug. They were fed up with the flippers and they ended their relationship with LC. Same is happening with Koons basically.

I DESPISE Koons and haven’t even purchased/leased a car from them. Considered even putting a hellcat order with them but they just kept rubbing me the wrong way. Marked up acq fee always, ridiculous govt fees, “can’t promise” actual FCA bonus rebates , etc . Gtfoh.

“You’re approved for Tier 1 to finance but not to lease”? Also gtfoh…

I was born at night but not last night.

9 Likes

I disagree, 3 weeks ago I signed on a 4xe at Gupton and got tier 1 easily…

It was my mom as primary (0 income, housewife, 750 credit) and me cosigner (30k part time income, student, 730 credit)

If we can get approval with no hiccup I am willing to bet that ANYONE with 100k income 750+ score can.

11 Likes

When I signed for my Rubicon 4xE with DARCARS at the end of June, the finance manager said they had ended their partnership with LC, and admitted he hated to keep doing these deals. However he felt obligated to service the customers they took orders from and sent the deal thru without a hitch. From my perspective, DARCARS was great. No frills, no funny business.

5 Likes

Did they state they would try a finance deal with CCAP or their preferred lenders? You obviously believe that your credit profile should qualify you for Tier 1 but CCAP did not approve you for anything at all - not even a lower tier. That usually points to them getting spooked by something in there (or incorrect information sent on the credit app).

We usually don’t provide much info in these posts as to what one’s profile looks like except stating I have x score, I did not get approved for Tier 1 or at all and it was at Koons.

CCAP pulls Experian. Data such as:

• Experian Fico 8 Auto Score
  • DTI ratio as reported in the credit report and app
  • Self Employed vs Full Time Employee
  • bad remarks on the report - late payments / bankruptcy / repo
  • recent number of accounts opened
  • auto line history

and probably a few more data points would help one understand what is causing these CCAP denials.

1 Like

I do want to point out that I hate the black hole these credit apps go into. You can usually try to recon a credit app directly with a lender but CCAP does not make it easy for the consumer to check in with them regarding what was sent and what the denial was for.

3 Likes

Is auto line history the number of auto loans you have had?
Fascinating - didn’t know all of that! Thanks for the info.