Ram Leasing - Chrysler Financial vs Dealer Bank

Hi there - quick (ok, not really quick) question. I’m trying to negotiate for a 2019 Ram which should have pretty decent terms. Essentially the MSRP is about $50k (Big Horn with some extras). Through Edmunds I’ve received information that what I’m looking for has the following information: 36/15: .00001 MF and 49% residual with $5000 incentive.

So I plug in the following numbers ( leasehackr.com/calculator?make=Ram&miles=15000&msd=0&msrp=50000&sales_price=45000&months=36&mf=.00001&dp=0&dealer_fee=85&acq_fee=595&taxed_inc=0&untaxed_inc=5000&rebate=0&resP=49&reg_fee=400&sales_tax=9&demo_mileage=0&memo=&monthlyTax_radio=true )

MSRP of $50k, Sales price of $45k (figure 10% off MSRP is reasonable?) and I get that my payment would be a decent $448/month before taxes. Not bad. Not as great as a lot of them I see on here, but still a good starting point at least.

Well, I am talking with a dealer and he quoted me $528 before tax going through their bank. Here is his response when I asked why the numbers are higher than I’m expecting. He used $50k - $12k off for his calculations, but would not/did not give me his residual & MF.

Our local bank is actually a cheaper payment than what Chrysler Capital will be because when you go through Chrysler Capital we don’t get the $12k off due to the fact that we lose rebates going through Chrysler Capital. The money factor Chrysler Capital uses is what’s called an incentivized rate, Chrysler is using part of the rebates we would normally get to buy down the money factor. Doing this compared to the extra discount we get going through our local bank paired with the higher residual we get through our local bank gives us a lower payment than what Chrysler Capital would be. The reason your payment calculations are coming out so low is because you’re using the incentivized money factor along with the discount that doesn’t go with Chrysler Capital bank.

I guess I’m curious - am I doing something wrong here in my assumptions or is this just a tactic for him to get better terms on his end. I’ve never leased anything before, and while I have been reading these forums for a while I’m still a novice.

1 Like

Go to autobytel and look up the incentives for the particular trim and your zip to get an idea. What he is saying could be correct in general (often FCA gives much higher rebates for non-captive banks). But, I think they’re probably pretty close in your case. Did the folsat edmunds give you the rebates in addition to the MF and RV? If they did, it should be the rebates that apply to the bank they quoted the RV and MF for and should be available to everyone.

1 Like

90% of the time there is usually a $2,000-$4,000 discrepancy in rebates between Chrysler Capital and Secondary Lender so he is correct in saying that.

CCAP will give you better money factor but lower rebates while indirect lenders such as a credit union will give more rebates but have a higher money factor.

1 Like

Ok, Thank you, I think I’m following. According to Autobytel:
$4,750 | Bonus Cash (IDL Bonus Cash)
$3,500 | Bonus Cash (Lease Cash)

So it sounds like I could get $3500 via Chrysler Capital or $4750 via a credit union. So I need to adjust my rebate calculation on the 3500 vs 5000 if I use the CC MF and Residuals, and could use the higher rebate (thus getting the $12k off that was mentioned) if I’m going to use the credit union MF and Residuals which are probably higher.

With updates, my payment calculation is at $490 vs his at $530 so we’re a little closer.

What I’m finding though is that I’m just not good at this. I see the coasts advertising payments for these trucks even cheaper and no matter what I do I can never get to those numbers. Appreciate everyone’s help. I think I may just have to wait and see if GM comes back with some good incentives since the residual on the GMC are so much higher than the Ram. I thought leasing a Ram was a no brainer, but now I’m not sure.

RAMs don’t lease well, especially the higher you go in the trim range. They’re awesome trucks, and I don’t think anybody else is close to competing with the 5th gen, but they’re not a great vehicle to lease if you’re looking for value. One reason the residual is so low is because they’ve been offering huge discounts on sales.

1 Like

Can someone please explain to me which incentives I would be eligible for if I leased via a credit union?

Also, how do I obtain MF for a credit union? Email?

Bump

Maybe @RVguy can provide some insight.

@Seby12
What zip code are you in?

You add to Idl to the regular rebate. So about 8250 total in rebates. I assume there is conquest or loyalty you can add. So total discount you getting is less than 10% .

It appears the incentives are slightly different for this zip code. I used the wrong zip code before. It’s not too important as I’m just trying to get an idea of what I would qualify for via a credit union.

Your only CU option is Members 1st but their rates aren’t competitive right now.