Questions on F-150 / Ram 1500 deal with trade in, purchase rather than leasing? (WA State)

Looking for the right deal and running into some questions. I’m a bit new here, so hope this is the right place. What’s a good reference point for a good deal in this situation?

My plan is to trade in leased 2020 Civic EX Hatchback for a full size truck (spec’d below). Was initially thinking of leasing the truck but it sounds like the dealers are pushing the purchase. Why is that? Better deal for everyone? Unique to full size trucks?

My trade-in is valued at (28k), at 8% over an identical 2022, with a 65% residual (15k purchase) and 1 year left on the lease, under miles and great condition. I think this is a good position, but combined with above, is a bit of a curveball for me.

I’m not in a hurry. I’m not looking for something that’s unfair to a dealer or private seller. I’ve heard supply is volatile. What’s a good reference point for a good deal in this situation? What would you do?

Target Trucks:

• F-150, 4x4, 6.5ft bed, Super Cab, Lariat.
  • Dodge Ram 1500, 4x4 Crew Cab, 6’4" Bed

Welcome to LH. I would suggest you get quotes from other places(autonation, honda dealers) for your Civic and separate it from your truck transaction if possible.

If you buy from a local dealer be prepared to pay over msrp. Trucks are hot. If you can wait 12-16 weeks use one of the brokers to get you one customized to your spec. I would recommend @Clutch , his RAM dealers are based out of LA, AZ and can get you better deal even with shipping included.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome! Good advice there and it makes sense I think to separate them. Looks like if I wait for the lease to mature, and purchase for 15k, I could potentially sell it at a fairly big margin if the value holds out for another year.

Also great advice on clutch, I reached out a few weeks ago and am considering a deal they sent my way.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.