Question for those of you who drive a Grand Cherokee 4xe

Generally in Hybrid mode you’ll be on electric power up to highway speeds unless you’re heavy on the throttle. Then the motor will kick in to aid acceleration. This can happen on electric only mode as well if you’re throttle happy. The integration is done pretty well. If you have no plans to charge it and take advantage of it though, you’re probably better off with the gas version unless you were able to score a really good deal.

The gas version doesnt really get much better mileage though and is way down on power.

I just checked my garage spot, no 100v plugs near my spot

I haven’t really seriously looked at the gas lease programs lately, if the 4xe is cheaper to lease then there’s no reason not to get it, in some ways it can be superior to the gas model. If you are financing, that might be a different discussion.

The gas is much easier to get a bigger discount on as there is more room between msrp and invoice. When I ordered my 23, i originally ordered a gas. Incrntives increaded in the 4xes, making it only $50 more per month, which is made up for in gas savings. If i had equipped the gas model eith the sunroof and passenger screen that comes standard in the 4xe, itd be about parity.

I sold my Grand Cherokee 4xe and leased a Pathfinder Platinum. I prefer everything about the Pathfinder over the GC 4xe. If you are in the 305, I found a dealer in the Miami area that was discounting and willing to do a one pay lease. Send me a PM and I will share my dealer contact with you.

3 Likes

Never looked into one because mpg looks to me 20mpg city

Most SUV’s in this class will get similar mpg.

@mllcb42 forgot to ask, the base one had pretty hard steering. Is that adjustable as well to make it a softer steering?

Yes, there are 3 steering levels adjustable in the infotainment. Sport, normal, and comfort. Sport is quite firm.

1 Like

Yeah I own a gas GC (basically dumped a Model Y at the fall peak price before the cuts). The ride is rough and it’s noisy on the highway. So unrefined. I test drove the GC 4xe before the gas GC and knew I did not want the PHEV version… but weirdly I really like the Wrangler 4xe that I borrowed from a friend for a week.

I test drove my friend’s 2019 4Runner and it was quieter (measured 67 dB on the highway vs. 83 dB for my GC), had more space, and more ground clearance. In retrospect I should have just bought another Telluride at MSRP that I was offered that same day. Instead I wanted to “try something different”… ah… we LHers get bored quickly lol.

PHEVs are not for me. I drive these SUVs mostly on longer road trips and commute with my EV(s). The whole plugin-portion would be just expensive deadweight.

1 Like

Dont know whats wrong with your gc. Mine is dead quiet on the highway.

Much more so that my palisade or my carnival is.

Ill try to grab a dB reading on my way home today using a super accurate, totally couldnt give a bad reading, phone app.

1 Like

That’s a great way of putting it. That’s what I gathered from my test drive.
But then @mllcb42 pointed out that the three things that really bothered me can be adjusted. The regen braking, the suspension, and the steering.

Doesn’t solve the issue of having nowhere to charge it. And if I dont charge it then it’s not very fuel efficient.

I’ll have to go to another jeep dealer and take a look at the GC 4xe again.

I just don’t have a better alternative. If the leases weren’t such dog :poop: on the Lexus, I would prob be very happy with an NX Hybrid. But not at $800+/mo.

don’t let this dissuade you from a good deal on one. effectively, everything in this class gets 19/20 MPG no matter what it is. if you don’t charge the 4XE GC then its the exact same as the gas.

Just finance the NX. Your effective will come out to half that.

1 Like

how do you figure?

Look at the MMR of 3- and 4-year old models. Apply a 20-25% haircut if you want to be extra cautious.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the RX hybrid had a sub $400 effective over 3-4 years.

1 Like

83dB in a Grand Cherokee?! What…with all the windows down and the stereo turned up full blast? :rofl:

Even the incredibly non-insulated Wrangler is probably upper 60s-low 70s at highway speeds. No way a functional GC is 80dB+…that’s loud lawn mower territory.

1 Like

75 mph on the highway with the ac blowing

Charge rates are usually different by brand/vehicle… Chrysler/Jeep is definitely on the slow side… on 120v, takes about 12 hours for a full charge which is 25 miles… same number of miles on our Y with same 120v, probably around 5-6 hours… the Leaf around 8 hours.

As for the ride of the GC 4xe… we have the base and it’s fine… but I guess when you compare it to a Y, any other ride is better. :slight_smile: