Question about Lease Transfer and License Plates New Jersey a bit Urgent

Hey so I am transferring the lease of one of my cars, everything is complete including Stage 3 the person getting the car is just waiting for documents. I currently canceled my insurance on the car and have it parked in the driveway. I wanted to ask since that car is now legally his (according to BmWFS) in the state of New Jersey
can I take the plates from the car and transfer the Plates to another vehicle before the person picks up the car?

Would the person get new plates or a temp plate in the packet mailed to him by FS?
If not would he have to go to the DMV before transporting the car to get Temp Plates?

I would not let someone drive a newly transferred car with my plates.

They should have the proper documents to register it before coming to get it, or ship it.

The bank should be sending them those docs to bring to the RMV.

Yeah, I agree so the transfer is fully complete, I removed the plates and parked the car, I am just waiting for him to come pick up the car, my question was can I use those plates that were on the car and put them on my lease which I am getting tommorow, (transfer those plates)

He is recieving the documents Monday and will come get it only after he has all the documents

However I am getting another car tommorow and wanted to transfer the plates instead of getting new ones, would that be possible?

That’s up to your new dealer/state

Transferring lease plates can be tricky if going from one captive to another in certain states

Plates can’t be transferred in NJ, you would have to surrender the plates to DMV. The new owner would have to go register the car and get new plates. At least that what I recently did when I transferred my BMW lease.

2 Likes

Okay the car I am getting is also a BMW and the registration would be the same as my previous car but I guess that doesn’t make a difference?

I am leasing out of state does that change anything? Or it matters if the registration is NJ? The dealership told me it’s fone however I’m not 100% certain , I looked online and it said plates can be transferred if the registered owner is the same

In that case you might be alright. I would just call the DMV tomorrow to confirm.

Okay thanks, one more question was that when the person gets the packet with the registration etc… from BMW he would first have to go to the DMV and get a temporary plate and then come pick up the car correct?

Also the car currently has no insurance on it as he doesn’t want to put insurance on it till he picks it up does that matter? FS told me that as long as I am not driving he vehicle and it is parked and since the transfer is completed I can take the car off my insurance policy

This is exactly right…Can’t transfer plates in NJ

1 Like

you are completely off the hook when stage 3 is complete. I’ve heard of cops letting people go when they know it’s in transit or on the way to the DMV.

Okay so it doesn’t matter if the dealer is out of state? As long as the registration is in NJ then I can’t transfer plates?

And this is the email I received assuming it’s complete right

BMW is seriously the best when it comes to lease transfers…you are off the hook. I would remove insurance until you plan on driving it until it’s pick up.

Yeah I removed insurance the day I got the email, Dude seriously BMW is amazing with transfer the entire process Stage 1 to 3 took 4 Buisness days

They were telling me it usually takes 3 weeks idk how it happened so fast

1 Like

@Eabgad
@Bostoncarconcierge
@nextlevelautobrokers

Thank you guys for clearing everything up!!!

Can’t wait to pick up the 5er tommorow haha!

2 Likes

Found this online for anyone else who comes across this issue

Hi

Did you have to pay sales tax again on the car ?

Thanks
Ankur

Don’t mean to bring up an old thread, but thought I’d share as it came up before my lease transfer. I completed the transfer of my license plates from my X2 to the 228i I went through the lease transfer process for (X2 was totaled due to Ida; a spectacular deal with none other than @Bostoncarconcierge ). The title BMW provided showed that the NJ sales tax was paid in full (as they are charging me the tax monthly as part of my lease payment), the agent at the DMV was able to successfully transfer the plate over as the lien holder was the same “person” (in this case it was BMW Financial Services). It did take a supervisor to help with this, but it was completed within 20 minutes with zero issue. Let me know if anyone has any questions, happy to help with my recent experience.