Pull the trigger on Mazda 2018 CX5 today?

It’s tough to say what will have equity in the end. But there are a few that have always had great resale. Toyota holds the top 3 Best Resale Value Vehicles of any brand based on KBB.com (Tacoma,4Runner, Tundra). I don’t believe any Mazda falls in the top 10.

The options listed are correct on edmunds. The selling to friend or family member is always a tough one. They tend to fall through.
But it’s very regular for us use their equity on the models listed above. But don’t expect the same on Camry,Corolla, ect. No equity to be had.

2 Likes

I’ve been searching since end of October in this market, and every salesperson from each of the 7 dealers (including Mazda) I interacted with said the exact same 2 statements you referenced, using the same “2000” figure. :joy:

1. “holds value and you can make $2000 bucks by selling at end.” Dealers set those RV pretty spot on, so unless your grandma just wants to do you a favor and pay too much for a 3 year old car… it’s just salesman bs.
  2. “Our brand doesn’t have much of a markup” :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Mark up statement is pretty true. 3-5%. But we move a lot of units and the retail makes up for the LH fleet deals. :sunglasses::+1:

The $2,000 number is odd…i try to not put out expections like that. Markets change too fast.

1 Like

Some brands seriously don’t have a lot of markup… Mazda and Volkswagen don’t usually have a large margin built into their pricing which kind of sucks because I happen to find their cars are on the more expensive side of mass market.

Mazda has a program that if your dealer is above region average on CSI they kick back $2500 a car at end of month. But you can’t coach customer at all on survey.

1 Like

Is there a spreadsheet some place that keeps track of which dealers are on this CSI list? hahaha

2 Likes

Doubt it. My buddy used to be internet director of cardinaleway in corona. And he always talked about it.

That sounds so high…I currently lease my CX-5 for less than $250. But it is a 2016 so maybe times have changed? I’m interested to see as I will be turning mine in soon.

What is CSI?

My friend leased a cx5, the touring for $300 a month 36/12
Just first month due at signing.

Paid half of the over mileage on the previous lease as well.

Based on what I’ve read on the forum, 2016/2017 seemed like might’ve been a golden time for leasing. Still good deals to be had, but you have to work much harder for them.

I think it depends on which VW. Golf and Golf derivatives have high MSRP, but I regularly see on VW Vortex people getting OTD prices on Golf Sportwagen S’s in the high teens (!!!), w/ a selling price in the mid teens (!!!). 2 local dealers offered $4000 of my Golf Sportwagen SE almost spontaneously (cash price, though). Jettas and Passats are already price so low that they seem to be relatively good value w/o the price having to be slashed further.

VWs can lease quite poorly, though (esp something like a GTI).

W/ Mazda, I get the impression that they don’t offer much off of MSRP across the entire range, regardless of whether you lease or finance. I do think their cars feel nicer than “commodity” Hondas or Toyotas, but, IMHO, they’re playing a bit of a dangerous game trying to stretch into the entry-level lux market w/ their current lineup (although I have no doubt Mazda could do a more convincing job w/ new platforms). The Millenia was not a big seller back in its day…

What the cars go for and what their actual mark ups I have found are two different things.

I know the GTI/Golf and other cars around those price points do not have a lot of margin built in, but usually the incentives and dealer discounts will be attractive.

1 Like

I agree. With that kind of lease payment for a CX-5, you might as well just purchase it.

1 Like

@escobar022 - Customer Satisfaction Index - these are the surveys you get after you buy/lease your vehicle.

Hmm I might lean more towards the X1 if I’m gonna be paying more for another CX-5 anyway

Residual values are set at the beginning and no one can gauge what the value of a particular vehicle is going to be worth 24 or 36 months into the future.

While the salesperson may have had a good string of luck cashing in on his previous leases, it sounds more likely to me that he’s just being good at trying to sell you and convince you on something he cannot guarantee.

It’s a good idea to wait, better than signing something you won’t like to live with, there’s been mention that Asian manufacturers have some good deals around March, but I haven’t researched it myself yet.

I got my cars for what I planned to do with them, I wanted lowest monthly payments and low drive offs, so that meant I needed high Residual Value and low Money Factor, I’ll let my decision in 32 months and 23 months be decided when those arrive respectively.

Know what you’re after, and seek those deals which work best for your situation, you may need to pay a bit more for a particular car or even color, but when I did my leases it was all about bottom line, the monthly payment, I was willing to take a less desireable color or trim even to make that happen.

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, might as well be driving something you like for three years, right???

Were Jan rates better?

Maybe they’re better in your area or you’re a better negotiator? :wink:

Thanks for the advice! Now for negotiation training :wink: