Pros and Cons of using Swap Lease

There are some good deals on there website. Has anyone had luck using the website?

Thanks

1 Like

pros: pretty easy process, could find deals that are really good

cons: most likely have to pay the fee for a swap ($600 for GM), have to incur prices on lease end (disposition fee)

I had a great experience “back in the day” on a 535i that a poor guy leased a few months before he lost his job in the 2009 Great Recession. More recently, I’ve never found anything great on it. The last time I paid anything for it was three years ago and I came up empty…too many guys with unrealistic expectations about their lease exits. I went new and got a better deal than anything I found on there.

I got my 16 M3 two months ago via a swap lease app, $0 down, can average 2200 miles a month for 12 months and total payment after taxes is $813. Not a base model either. Im very happy with it.

1 Like

I had a great experience getting an RC F last year. The price was great, and with the exception of Lexus requiring everything be done by snail mail, it was an easy process. Sticker was $75,000. Payments with Indiana tax are $674/month. I had 26k miles to use over 17 months.

That was my impression as well when I poked around in there.

What it is good for though is if for personal reasons you need a car for some shorter term - say 14 months (or whatever), then you can find something to drive on there for a term that fits your situation.

2 Likes

i had a BMW 4 series back in 2014. I got out of it very easily. Best car i ever owned. The payments were higher then i wanted but i was happy to be out of it. I learned a lot of certain cars that are not transferable as well. BMW is by far the easiest. Im actually surprised all car makers dont do this. Its such a great idea.

BMW is great in lease assumption. While I didn’t list it on Swaplease, I did advertise my car on Bimmerfest for a lease takeover and within a few hours a fellow 'fester emailed me to take over the lease. It took about 3 weeks from the day he turned in his credit app to me handing him over the keys. BMW emails you at every step to keep you informed of the process.

Anyone have experience with programs like Swap-a-lease? Found what I consider an awesome lease opportunity to take over a new F-150, but don’t know how reliable these types of websites are or if the process can be trusted. Anyone know if what the current leaser is paying monthly would actually be what I would pay, especially since I’m in a different state?

A while back, I had someone take over my F150 lease via swap-alease. Was quite painless and all the process stuff gets handled via Ford anyway. You’ll pay what the current leaser pays, other than any differences in tax based on your registered address.

I have done at least a dozen swaps through Swapalease, the process is simple. Swapalease is really just the forum to find the swaps, all of the actual work is done with the leasing company and the individual who is swapping out of the car.

If you look hard, sometimes you will stumble upon some real sweetheart deals. There are also a lot of really bad deals on Swapalease as well, so you have to sift through the listings with a fine tooth comb.

4 Likes

As some have posted above, you likely pay the swap fee in the beginning and the lease termination fees at the end, and taxes for your state will be either paid up front from the remaining months or in addition to the monthly payment.

I echo the early commenter’s sentiment.

A while back I found plenty of good deals on SwapaRama and Lucktrader and the like.

Lately? All I find , and I consider myself pretty well versed, is 99% people with bad deals looking to pass it on to you, or the ones with a good deal want to dump their last 6 months so they can go get another one.

Not exactly fertile fields. Rather take my chances with the source. The guys who have all the NEW cars.

They’re shiny. They smell nice. And they get serviced whenever they like

Hey Earl, lookie here for only paying my Dispo fee and an extra Fo 99 , you too can pay my poorly negotiated lease price… Wooooopeee ! Can I really ? Can I really? lol

1 Like

did an f150 through swapalease a few years ago, couple of things to help you. Have the current lessee get their transfer paperwork through the website (snail mail takes forever) Ford will basically upload a copy of the transfer document through their Ford motor credit app, they print it out and scan or fax it to you, rest is on you. I think it’s something like a $75 transfer fee. If moving from state to state you might have to pay transfer tax we did, it was roughly $1800 (it was on a platinum though so it’s based off value) then certain states have usage tax so that gets added to your monthly. All in all it took roughly 2-3 weeks and was pretty straight forward.

I’m currently in Stage 3 of my lease swap of my BMW X2, so far the process has been very easy. It should be completed in its entirety next week, the assumer is flying in from FLA for the X2.

1 Like

SAL isn’t a program, it’s just a place for people to advertise.
The process is going to depend a lot on who the bank/captive is (ranging from relatively efficient like BMWFS to really stringent like MBFS to very slow like TFS)

or restrictive like GMF, or that keep you tied to the lease after transfer like NMAC.

So you SAY he’s flying TO YOU … in NY ( Assuming the Cuse ref (maybe NJ)) to get a car from you.

Now why in the WORLD would any FL resident do such a thing? Deals are all the same all across the country right FL folks?

So strange for a buyer to do such a thing. Probably just needs the nonexistent airline miles.

Im in NJ (graduated from Cuse!( He has already paid the transfer fee, did credit check with BMW. Couldnt get a deal on an X2 in Florida for what I’m paying for it, I have 0 reason to think he would go through all the trouble to not lease it.

1 Like

Yeah I was being a bit . facetious bc some other members keep telling me we don’t pay more for Car leases in FL as opposed to other regions of the country.

Totally understand why he’d come and get it. Problem is always getting it back here.

Have a great week.

1 Like