Property tax on leased vehicles in SC

Hello everyone,

So I live in SC which has the vehicle property tax. I received the tax notice from my county today (not from the dealer). The tax due is over $1100 on a leased vehicle with a market value of 56k. This is the first time I will pay the property tax for this car, this number seems to be very high compared to my old car. After some searching, it looks like SC has a tax cap of $300. I will give the treasurer a call next week but any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi there I used to live in SC. The $300 tax cap is on sales tax, not the personal property tax. That amount is based off of your local and county taxes and milage etc. $1100 does still seem high. I used to have 35-40k Honda Pilots and they were in the $400-600 range if I recall. The $1100- check and make sure it’s also just for one year? It could be for 2 years, or prorated for this year and next year etc.

1 Like

Walper, thanks a lot for your feedback :smiley:

After reading your reply, I just realized that this tax might be for 2 years. I got this car in Dec. 2021, which was right after I paid the tax for the previous car (I transferred the plate to this new car, so no tax was paid at that time). And the old car was much chapter so I guess the differences are added to this year’s tax.

Glad to help! Yep- SC is definitely weird with the personal property taxes!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.