Property Tax on BMW Lease Texas

Hi all, question on BMW lease-

My two prior leases (both Hyundai)- I do not recall having to pay a property tax.

My recent bill I see a “property tax” of 281.87. Is this normal?

I tried googling around and the only thing I see is leased vehicles in Texas are not subject to property taxes unless they are used primarily to generate income.

Pardon on the elementary questioning :smiling_face_with_tear:

Yes, some counties in TX require you to pay a personal property tax on leased vehicles. My county does. When you leased your vehicle, you should have signed a document stating that your vehicle was for personal use and not commercial use. That lowers the personal property tax. (Assuming you leased it from a TX dealer, if not you have to file that form on your own) The figure you’re quoting seems in line to what I pay.

1 Like

yes personal use, tx dealer. I called bmw finance and they see I signed a document for tax liability. ofc i would remember of the 10 different sheets i signed ><

you should google more.
This exempt only applies to school and county tax. You should pay property tax on city tax, unless your city voluntarily excludes itself.

BMW and TX… @IAC should be able to opine on

1 Like

What did you sign? I got hit with this on NMAC (biz registration) and they said I need to contest with the county assessor to get the $ removed off the statement

If you’re in TX some counties asses a personal property tax on vehicles. My county does.

No county could. Only city could.

That may be the case…bottom line, where I live in TX there is personal property tax on leased vehicles.

Yes - There is a personal property tax on leased vehicles by county.
I had the same experience with both BMW and GM Financial leases

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.