Problems Getting Dealers to Match Numbers

I did that and I sent him the leasehacker link with all the payment details and he sent back that we are too far away and that when he a program that fits we can make a deal.

It seems other dealers have the programs to make a deal.

Yes. The first I noticed was that he never put in the selling price of the car. I pressed him on that and then he pretty much ended communication.

1 Like

He’s telling you that he wants to make a few grand on the deal and here it is.

6 Likes

I did ask and he confirmed the money factor at .00086.

It’s all about finding a dealer who will do YOUR deal.

IMO don’t ever send the leasehackr calc. Send your own spreadsheet or just the relevant inputs.

2 Likes

That makes sense. Of course the problem is finding the car from a dealer with a steep discount.

-Joe

1 Like

As someone who sold cars at a BMW dealer in Chicagoland until recently, all I have to say is good luck. The dealers that don’t play games will not discount as much and the ones that play games will but you have to work to get there. Don’t know which broker you are working with, but @JD81 is a solid Chicagoland BMW broker.

4 Likes

+1 for @jd81. Really great guy, and amazing coffee (allegedly, I need to fix a hand me down espresso machine I got).

2 Likes

Way better coffee than loaner broker haha.

2 Likes

And definitely not a good guy

2 Likes

i’ve had some dealers lie to me about the MF and claim they’re giving me base MF. i would input it in the calculator and tell them that no they are inflating it and then they just ignore my messages from there when i prove them wrong. maybe in the dealer u can call their bullshit more directly and get them to actually do base

Don’t mention lease hacker to the dealer. When you have all the inputs, you will know what the monthly and DAS is from the output of the calculator. Those are the only two numbers you need to give to a dealer when you make an offer.

Thanks for the advice on that. I really appreciate it.

1 Like

That lease quote you posted looks identical to the ones I was getting from this Chicago area dealer (not Cook Co.). Same format, setup and terminology. Problem with this is they give you absolutely no details regarding the lease except for the rebates. The savings and selling price listed are only the PURCHASE numbers and have little to do with the lease numbers. If you press them for details they will not provide them but they will demand to know how your other quotes were configured. Not very transparent and that is why I went elsewhere. They also pulled the trick where they list higher rebates on the initial deal, then later say they made a mistake but they will honor the quote, like they are doing you a big favor. Run.

I am too and my engineering program had one required accounting class which most everyone hated (seems like being good at calculus didn’t help). These quotes are meant to confuse people, always try to include incentives as discount, etc, just like the Autonation ones.

Just wanted to say I actually lol’d at Crook county.

2 Likes

This is why you should always independently verify incentives prior to talking to a dealer. If you know what the rebates are and what your target price is, then they can make the offer look as confusing as they want; it simply either matches your numbers or it doesn’t.

Agreed, however getting accurate information from third party sources is not always easy. Edmunds was reporting there was no lease support in Illinois and many other areas as early as November for the 2020 BMW 5 series. This continued into late December and they eventually stated they could not confirm the information. By getting as many quotes as you can, you may be able to piece together enough information to establish an accurate rebate/incentive number along with the MF and RV. To this end I was open to speaking with various dealers to see what they were saying. At least this let me know the level of transparency they exhibited. The ones who seemed to be open and forthcoming got higher marks than those who said things like “we never disclose our MF information”. Those types got crossed from the list. I also tried Truecar and autobytel, and again received conflicting details. Regional variances, changing programs, dealer misinformation, inconsistent internet sources are all roadblocks to navigate.

Ya, sometimes it’s more difficult than other times and you need to reach out to more sources, but going into the conversation with the dealer without the information leaves you searching for critical information from a source motivated to not give it, leaves you starting the negotiation process by presenting yourself as uninformed, and takes away your value as an easy volume number because of the calories being burnt going back and forth.

Now, if you wanted to burn a few contacts with dealers you don’t expect to do business with, that’s an option, but it does mean reducing your field of possible dealers.

Very valid points, I agree it is important to be viewed as well informed or they will try and take every advantage. Often when trying to drill down you will get shifted to the sales manager, which is not a bad thing either. Sales people are reluctant to deal since you are trying to shave their commission. Once they realize that this deal will likely be a mini, you may get somewhere, but the sales manager is ultimately the one who is going to okay the deal or at lease know how far he or she can go.

I have seen discussion on what is the best approach to take, either grinding by getting as many quotes as you can and working those down or putting one detailed deal out to many dealers and see who shows interest. Both have merit and I guess it depends on your tolerance to entertain offers. You are correct that the more time spent on negotiating eventually burns calories for both sides and you may not be viewed as the “easy volume” option.