Problem with new car (lease) since day one. 7 weeks in the shop. No solution. What do I do?

Late 2020, I got a great deal on a 3-year lease for a 2020 model VW with 0 miles. Brand new car. Works as it should except for the ApplePlay – the media software that enables GPS, audio and other limited iPhone access.

Originally, ApplePlay would work as intended when we’d first plug in our phones. However, if the phone were to be unplugged, or the cable disconnected momentarily, ApplePlay would not reconnect after plugging back in. It would only do so after the car were turned off for at least 5 minutes.

This doesn’t seem like such huge issue, but, for reasons I won’t get into, it really is. But that’s beside the point. We bought a brand new car. It should work as advertised.

We dealt with it for a couple months and then made an appointment with the dealership to get it fixed. That was 7 weeks ago. They’ve tried all of the manual resets you can imagine, say they’ve been in constant contact with VW manufacturer tech support and gone as far as replacing the entire unit with a brand new one.

Nothing helped. In fact, with the replacement unit, the problem got worse: now it doesn’t even connect the first time. You plug in the phone and the display reads, “Waiting for iPhone to connect,” or something similar.

After 7 weeks, I got a text message from our contact at the dealership effectively saying, “Our guys said it’s a software issue with Apple and there’s nothing we can do. Please return the loaner car and come pick up yours.” They also left a phone number for VW corporate support.

Just got off the phone with the guy from corporate support assigned to my case. He told me that the only thing that can be done is to bring our car to another dealership in town to see if they can fix it. And then to a 3rd dealership if that doesn’t work.

I asked how VW would take care of it if the next dealership(s) still can’t find a solution. He said he doesn’t have an answer.

We’ve been back and forth from the original dealership (2 hour round trip) 5 times in 7 weeks. We’ve were given a 3rd party rental car for 6 of those weeks that is in no way comparable to the car we’re leasing. Now in a loaner car. We’re coming up on the 3rd monthly payment for our car that’s been out of our possession for nearly 2 months.

I feel strongly that this is a VW problem and not a me problem.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Or knowledge about the dealership’s / manufacturer’s responsibility? I’m at my wits’ end. PLEASE HELP!

TL;DR – New car lease. Media system hasn’t worked properly from the start. It’s an important feature of the car. Dealership can’t fix it after 7+ weeks in the shop. Escalated to corporate rep. Rep appears useless, telling us to bring car to yet another dealership, etc. Did not explain what happens if it can’t be fixed at all.

EDIT: Such an incredible resource in these forums. Thank you for such quick responses! I’ve spoken to a lawyer (thanks, jeisensc), read the statute and understand quite a bit more re my options than I did about an hour ago. For now, following the instructions from the corporate rep. Would be very interested to hear anyone’s firsthand account / knowledge of Lemon Law action. Thanks again.

Call a Lemon Law Lawyer. They are free btw.

6 Likes

Yup. No reason not to. @thehomie if you’d like a recommendation for a lemon law attorney in socal that I’ve had great luck with, send a PM my way.

4 Likes

Sent a PM 1010

1 Like

What’s your ideal resolution? And did you ask for it?

Please report back what the attorney tells you. I’m just curious since CA seems to have a similar law to NJ, which states, “To qualify for relief under the Lemon Law, the defect must substantially impair the use, value or safety of your vehicle, or be a “serious safety defect” which is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven.”

IMHO, having a stereo issue that only occurs under very specific circumstances that could easily be avoided would not qualify under those conditions. But I’m certainly no attorney.

1 Like

Ideal solution is for them to fix the problem, we keep the car and move on with our lives. Also reimbursement for the payments we’ve made while we haven’t had possession of the car. Haven’t exactly had the chance to ask for it because the next step in their process is to give it to another dealership. All I did was insist that the corporate rep facilitate things instead of me doing it myself.

Lemon Law seems to be a potentially viable way for us to return the car, but we quite like it except for this issue. And I can’t imagine we’ll find a similar deal to the one we got.

Yeah, it doesn’t occur under “very specific circumstances.” It’s a constant issue and it renders the entire system useless, the biggest factor being the GPS. Can connect for phone calls / music through bluetooth, but no work around for GPS. Also def safer to operate from the unit than through holding the phone while driving. We dealt with it as long as we could, but it really is a significant impairment.

Will report back if we go the lawyer route.

It ought to take about a 5 minute phone call for any of the lawyers to give you an answer as to if they think you have a case. Considering VW held the car for 7 weeks, I’d be shocked if there was much push back.

If LH had a dollar for each thread that has no answer beyond “talk to an attorney”…

4 Likes

I recognise this is a dumb question, but I assume all the usual troubleshoots have been tried, eg, using different iPhones to see if its the same issue? different cables etc? - it just seems that if they’re replaced the head unit then what else could the issue be?

What VW is it btw? If its Tiguan, I know wireless carplay is an option so maybe you could push for that as potential solution?

1 Like

I mean, they’ve had the car for 7 weeks and went as far as replacing the head unit. I assume with some high degree of certainty that they’ve thrown everything at this one. Also, it’s a base unit 2020 Tiguan. I know the 2021s have wireless carplay (the loaner we’re in does it automatically). Either our particular model doesn’t, or it’s a further malfunction present since day one for a feature we never knew existed.

Also, we were using Apple products. Tried many different iPhones. Nada.

Has the dealership acknowledged they can’t fix it?

Have you asked them about a buy back?

1 Like

They have. They sent us a text saying (paraphrased), “We’ve done everything we can. Tech says it’s an Apple software issue. Come pick up your broken car and return the loaner.”

We have not asked for a buyback. Whether we will depends on the next steps I guess.

This is a frustrating problem, because whilst it’s not an issue that means you can’t use and drive the car each day (hence i’m not sure Lemon Law would work but I don’t know enough about it)

it’s still an issue that greatly impacts your enjoyment of using the car. I use Carplay every day and always connect and disconnect during journeys etc so it would be a big deal for me also.

As annoying as it is, I would probably give another dealership a chance to fix it and/or look for an aftermarket solution, but I know spending decent money on something that still might not work for a workaround that shouldnt even be a problem…is irritating.

Even if they get the car back and refund your payments , you will probably not going to find the same deal in current market. Your savings for refunds may not make up the lack of discounts in an otherwise normal market . So it is a tough situation if it’s not fixed .

Precisely. We’re beyond happy with the deal we got (found it on this forum!) and I can’t imagine getting anything even close to it now. Tough situation indeed. We really just want the car we thought we were getting.

Going down the lemon path doesn’t necessarily mean they must buy it back. There’s always the chance that they’d settle for some amount due to the reduced functionality/hassle that’s short of the buy back amount. That’d partially “make you whole” and keep you in your current payments.

Ultimately, we’re all just going to sit here speculating. Talk to a lemon attorney and let them tell you your options.

5 Likes

Well, at first you said it only happens if you unplug and plug back in while the system is on (I think that’s what you meant??). But then they replaced the head unit, so it is worse now?

Have you or they tried your phone in a different car on the lot?

Accumulating more posts that later need to be deleted or unlisted…

1 Like