Prepaid Lease - MB - Can I get out?

I don’t think his RV is 73%. Below is what he had posted in May, when he shared his deal on LH. His residual is 61%. He paid $14,017 to drive the car off.
61% of MSRP is $62958.10 and unless they royally screwed him on lease buy out after getting that huge lump sum from him, he should be able to buy his car now for $62958 (since he already made all the payments, including for depreciation and rent charge).
I did Nationwide search on cars.com and didn’t find anything for less than $69995 (or 70K) unless the Carfax shows “Branded title, buyback/lemon”. He used the car since April, and under his lease terms paid $584.04 for depreciation and rent charge. That’s $2920.20 so far. To break even, he would have to sell this car for $74,000 today (11096+62958). If he fetches 70K instead, he is losing $4000 (or effectively pays $800/mo extra for depreciation, on top of his lump sum payment). He is not in the greatest shape, but I guess he made a conscious decision to get into that car 5 months ago, and sometimes there is a price to pay for decisions made.

MSRP: $103210
Selling Price: $83120
Incentives: $11,000 (EV+Sams)
Residual: 61%
Acq Fee: $1095
Terms: 24/10k
One Pay Total: $14,017
15 months left of free charging
I paid the total w/ a new AMEX Biz Platinum scoring about 176k AMEX points to boot

2 Likes

the RV is wrong in the post. Original RV was 66%. It was a loaner deal.

Well, then he is in more trouble than I thought if he wants to get out of that lease. He will have to absorb the difference between his total costs and current value of the car. I wouldn’t trade, I would just keep the car until the lease was over. I wouldn’t trade in any of my leases if I had negative equity, with the exception of racking up tens of thousands of miles above the limit. Then I would have killed its value anyway and it would make sense to sell it to highest bidder I could find. OP doesn’t appear to be in such position. He just wants to swap the car out of convenience, and if so will have to consider if he wants to pay a price to do that.

2 Likes

List it on swapalease.com
I’ve gotten several cars from there prior
They have to apply for MB credit app and $600 transfer fee. Here in California many people would pay you what you paid and take it over

How does the OP get around the fact that, unless they live in CT, they can’t transfer an MB lease?

1 Like

I’ve taken over 3 leases last 8 years but I live in California. I’m not sure about CT but something doesn’t add up I thought lease transfers were up to the leasing company and not the state. I would go to swapalease.com and filter the search for leases in CT and that’ll give you the answer I suppose.

MB changed their policies on lease transfers in 2020. CT has a state law that requires they still be allowed, otherwise they haven’t processed them in years. When exactly did you last transfer a MB?

But call/email them. I just checked. There are plenty of MBFS leases for transfer on that site

They are all either “For Sale / Off Lease” or a “Lease Proposal”, but yes always double check with the bank in case they changed their policy today.

There are a lot of MBs listed as for sale/off lease, not transfers.

1 Like

Which model. Our GLA is plenty comfortable.

1 Like

Wow, I finally found someone who shares my concern- This expensive machine has poor rear sests!

Wash the car, get 20 images of it (in and out, close-ups, detailed/zoomed images if your car has any dents or scratches) and post it on cars dot com for a price you would need to fetch to get out of the lease with minimal cost to you. You will get a feel of the market/demand by private buyers. I sold my leased Honda Accord years back by posting it for sale while I was leasing it. But it doesn’t seem like the numbers are in your favor. This is a fast depreciating car with huge discounts as brand new, I assume it would be difficult to get a cash buyer paying you what you would need to make it a sensible transaction. And to sell it to someone who would finance the purchase you would need to buy it from MB first. Your best bet might be to get CarMax appraisal and trade it in to dealer for a newer car. Speaking of which, can you go to Edmunds dot com, click on “appraise my car” tab to get CarMax offer and Edmunds appraisal, then post it here?
P.S. Don’t get one pay lease or a car that depreciates so terribly in future.

Darn. Sorry this was news to me :cry:

When I posted, I wasn’t sure if he had one of those 13 month leases with the higher residual.

1 Like

That’s understandable, we don’t hold crystal balls and sometimes make assumptions based on what is known to us at the moment. RE: EQS, it’s amazing how fast and how much that car depreciates off MSRP in a short period of time. In essence, you pay less than real depreciation is, because the estimated RV is significantly higher than the market. Which means you are better off keeping this car through the end of he lease term, or trade it at your own cost.
I personally don’t like EV’s, particularly MB’s EV’s. Generally, they require more time to charge than filling up a gas tank, I don’t want to save few bucks and look around for charging station every time I run out of range. Second, they deliberately design EV cars (IMHO) to look stupid. Why couldn’t they design a car that looked like the E (or C, S) class, just moved by electric motor instead of combustive engine?

Well, if you have a leased MB lease, hopefully you like it enough to carry it to term. :slight_smile:

Your comment should be the topic of its own thread lol. I’m going to dip into Eric-levels of text-walls because I really want to crash the LH servers too.

There’s a ton of analysis looking at vehicle vintages to assess their target residuals over X number of months and miles on the odometer. To your comment, sometimes the lessor subvents the RV with a higher number to boost volume via leases. It is definitely a form of a untaxed rebate, even if the average buyer never sees it as such. But since it’s an insidious incentive, it’s too easy for the automaker and its captive financing arm to get addicted.

If the Financial Services side starts to rapidly drop/correct the resids, it pisses off the sales side since now leases become seriously unattractive (see the Merc EQS). And if sales is pissed they don’t order new units to be delivered to the showroom. So the financial services side is under constant pressure to mark up resids since the problem of the lease return bombing the lease portfolio is seen as a kicked can down the road.

Unfortunately, leases usually aren’t all equity financed sitting on the captive automaker’s balance sheet. Many leases are sold off, or the liability side of the lease balance sheet is propped up with advance/debt coming out of financial warehouses and other asset backed lines of credit. The folks ultimately financing the leases have access to a ton of tools tool.

Eventually the leases being originated with garbage MFs and Resids become very undesirable or no longer fit in the financial warehouses. If the leases become trash collateral it causes a problem really fast since liquidity freezes. Trashing good collateral with trash collateral isn’t as easy as it once was, and I feel like these EQS leases are exceptionally bad given how rapidly the vehicles are losing real-world RV.

During the 08/09 financial crisis, the USA (thanks Bush AND Obama!) had to push $80 Bn into GM and Chrysler. While most attention was paid to the balance sheets on the R&D/manufacturing side, the captive financing side needed monstrous support too. GMAC alone took $17 Bn; Chrysler Financial only $1.5 Bn.

The damage to the loan portfolio was staggering delinquencies and losses that crushed the “0% for 72 months” trash being originated. The damage to the lease portfolio was mostly in the resid where the collateral on the leases was nowhere near as valuable as what was originated.

By 2012, Chrysler Financial had struck a deal with TD Bank and also found ways to stem the collapse of their vehicle values… which helped neutralize their overall losses from TARP to $0. I think the government actually made a slight gain overall from this tranche.

GMAC went through Ally financial, and with all the shenanigan’s you would expect from any mega-deal, everyone eventually “came out fine” with respect to how TARP was assessed. Whether or not this was just a can-kick down the road is debatable. But the US Treasury claims an overall $15 Bn gain from the total TARP program and its liquidation of holdings of Ally financial. So again, thanks Bush AND Obama!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.