Prediction that other EV manufacturers will react to Tesla price cuts

What’s the point of crying out the sky is falling? Look around, this has been happening for a while now. “Canary in the coal mine?” I recall thinking Tesla would cut prices for a while now based on a myriad of factors.

What’s the point of this discussion, even?

I’m not sure the point of this thread either or why it wasn’t moved to the off ramp. OP is clearly a Tesla fan and isn’t going to change his opinion. I suspect the conversation isn’t going to get better from here…

3 Likes

Nothing says business genius more than alienating your core customer base. Business schools are going to have a field day with these case studies.

9 Likes

Tesla’s market share is going to keep decreasing for several reasons. The most obvious one is more competition from other manufacturers.

Although I am not currently in the market for a new car, I would love to go the EV route some day. I am in the North East, and I live in a part of MA where it gets really cold in the winter with lots of snow. If I do get an EV in the next 3-5 years (it won’t be my next car), I hope that battery degradation issues would have improved and driving ranges would also be better. However, the charging infrastructure for other EVs still lags behind compared to Tesla’s supercharger network.

Tesla’s do not appeal to me much. I am a sedan guy but I do not have $100k+ to buy a Lucid Air. I can wait for a cheaper version or just wait for the release of the Audi A6 etron next year, when my current lease expires.

There are deals to be had on certain new cars. It just depends on what you are looking for and whether you are looking to lease or buy. Although, more and more manufacturers started incentivizing leasing again late last year, given low residual values and high MFs, good lease deals were not abundant.

Anyway, time will tell whether in 6 -12 months the auto market returns to pre-Covid times. As long as interest rates continue to rise, deals will be far in between. On the flip side, there are currently some deals on non-EVs btw.

2 Likes

We get it, you like Elon…

2 Likes

Can you explain this comment for a car dummy?

As Milton Friedman said…People vote with their pocketbooks and their feet😁

5 Likes
1 Like

Gist of OP’s argument: Elon is suffering so everyone else should be too.

Amber Marshall Crying GIF by tvshowpilot.com

8 Likes

6 Likes

his point has a lot of merit to it. even if wasnt blocked as a reseller by tesla, i would now not buy elon’s products because he comes off as a shill for vladimir putin. he’s the face of the company. his comments matter. i’m sure more than a few people have been turned off of his products b/c of what he said

17 Likes

Tesla is starting to face competition in the EV space like never before.

Experienced OEMs know how to build at scale, drive down component prices, and deliver a better customer experience than Tesla. They are going create headwinds for Tesla like never before. And yes, Elon is increasingly being revealed as a self-absorbed jackass, so that turns off many consumers as well.

2 Likes

Could have fooled me. Legacy automaker EV prices continue to go up. None of them make a profit on their EVs. MachE cost $25k more to produce than a Ford Edge. My opinion they do not have a grasp of what it is like to scale up EV production. All their stated EV production goals will not be met on time or on budget. Mary Barra has already walked back GM’s production goals.

3 Likes

And everyone who bought one in the last quarter. Their resale got the full “America History X” treatment. But who cares about existing customers anyway?

6 Likes

Same with all the fools who paid ADM during the supply shortage. RIP to Yukon owners who paid $20k over msrp.

2 Likes

This really is an industry wide reality that’s coming to a head now as people are severely underwater on cars they overpaid for sometime in the last 2 years.

I’ve had a handful of people bow out of a deal due to their trades being in a bad spot.

1 Like

If you truly believe in Tesla’s DTC model, I think you need to dig deep and understand what a false equivalence this is. Of course anyone who chose to pay a big ADM (not this guy) is stuck, many could have gone elsewhere and not paid it, or waited.

2 Likes

For a supposed “business genius/ guru”, alienating your core customer is certainly madness.

While obvious not the main reason for this price drop, the fact that it’s happened at the same time as he’s wound his neck in on twitter the last couple of weeks days a lot.

My guess wife is someone for whom Tesla have gone from top of her wants to something she wouldn’t touch…

As covered though… unless it’s cheap enough and then she’ll turn!

That’s the point though, it now NEEDS to be a bargain, they NEED to be cheaper than the alternative for what was once their core market

3 Likes

Can someone explain to me who the supposed “core customer” is of Tesla???

I think people who purchased a Tesla S “in the beginning” were likely rich tech geeks who didn’t care much about cars but really liked the idea of a driveable iPhone.

And then Tesla S’s became aspirational, so you have all sorts of peole who were rich (or wanted to look rich) of all sorts of political persuasions buying that to keep up w/ their neighbos.

And then, when the Model Y and then the 3 came out, that probably appealed to an additional set of people.

I don’t think the example above of a Model 3 buyer returning the car b/c of Musk’s antics is reflective of many people who buy a 3 b/c that neighbor had iX money (so a different demographic/SES than someone who can “only” afford a 3). They could afford to a return their 3. I don’t think many people who could only afford something the price of the 3 have the luxury of making such decisions, regardless of their personal beliefs (or the personal beliefs that they wish to tell their neighbors about).

I imagine that the people buying 3, Y, S, and Xs now fall into a decent range of demographics and political beliefs (but it’d be great if someone w/ actual demographic data had info).

4 Likes

I know people want to believe the financial impact toTesla is due to Elon’s crappy behavior, but I don’t think it is. What’s affecting Tesla is affecting the rest of the market. Tesla is not immune to market conditions.

The supercharger network continues to be a major boon for Tesla and it’s sad other manufacturers haven’t invested in similar.

4 Likes