Prediction that other EV manufacturers will react to Tesla price cuts

That year between the last two summers could have fooled anyone but we really are just going back to how the normal vehicle market is.

I’m back to discounting at pre-cv levels on most lines though the rates aren’t ideal for both leasing and purchasing.

4 Likes

You still love yours, though? :grin:

Nope, the dealer who took it in on trade has that honor now.

I’ll wait for them to tank @ auction or just wait for my lyriq.

4 Likes

Tesla US/Canada were expected to follow the decrease in China and other markets. The profit margin of those cars is insane and all they did is trim the profit to pre-madness days.
Model Y Performance is actually cheaper its ever been from the looks of it.

The decrease in demand of Tesla can be directly correlated to increase of other comparable offerings. People also want something different once in a while and may settle for inferior but less common and completely different product.

Eh, I still think there is plenty of demand for Tesla(s).

Their biggest problem now is the DTC model … legacy manufacturers can offload their units to the dealer network, thereby shedding the holding costs + they can game the system and punch(ask dealers to put units into loaner/demo/drac) cars to create the appearance of sales.

Tesla lacks the dealer network to work the system, as WS and the traditionalist investor prefer.

Edit: They also have a pricing problem, which these most recent rounds of cuts will likely not solve.

1 Like

I work for a Tier 1 supplier and let me tell you that there’s nothing these executives can do about China, Brazil, and others not supplying us with certain raw materials. It seems to rotate through different materials. Once one thing clears up there’s a supply chain issue wither something else.

9 Likes

In much of the US there is limited appeal to Tesla’s vehicles, and EV sales in total still represent - what - 5% (?) of the market.

Plus Tesla shares that market niche with an ever-expanding list of competitors.

Tesla dropping their price by X is equivalent to a dealer discount + manufacturer incentive of X on another brand (no matter how such other reference vehicle is powered).

Both discounts and incentives are starting to come back, so the entire market is tipping back toward the consumer’s favor… but I don’t see general demand for new vehicles going into freefall in Q1.

3 Likes

I think you are underestimating the damage Elon did to his brand with his Twitter shenanigans. Michael Jordan famously said of avoiding politics, “republicans buy shoes too.” Liberals don’t just buy cars too, they were the ones buying tesla’s and now they don’t want them. Unless rednecks pick up the slack Tesla is selling to a shrinking market.

7 Likes

Ah because if you’re not a liberal, you’re a redneck picking fleas off your chest and back hair. Got it. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

26 Likes

If tesla would make and deliver a larger traditional SUV or a Truck, I’d buy tomorrow. I’ve done the whole car and crossover thing and never again.

1 Like

I agree, i wonder whats the time on lot right now though.

What does RE mean?

real estate 20202020

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s wise to make claims based on the actions of one company. Honestly, I just think Tesla pricing is returning to where it needs to be, those things were massively inflated in price and there was a time when Tesla would increase price by 2k to 30k every month for a year. Anyone who bought Tesla in the past 6 months is now feeling the burn.

This is just the free market at work and I see nothing wrong with that. With that being said, it’s an absolute terrible time to buy a car or house.

1 Like

This. Now is a great time to take advantage of inflated residuals like the 18-month Nissan leases.

5 Likes

This is why LeBron will never be greater than MJ.

Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

7 Likes

Frustrated World Cup GIF

You should also consider some of those price cuts targeted to put the price tags below the ev incentive threshold, especially Model Y.

I agree that the market dynamics started shifting, and hope it will be more consumer friendly, but still the interest rates makes most transactions harder to swallow.

3 Likes

Only new vehicle I would buy are the vehicles that are always on the top 10 of residual value lists.
Tacoma, and Jeep Wrangler.

1 Like

That’s why I say the canary in the coal mine. If you listen closely, there’s one bird singing a song in a faint distance. Regardless of how one feels about Elon, he’s a genius. He certainly isn’t punting $7,500 x 400,000 (=$3B give or take) unless he feels it is necessary. As someone else pointed out, he’s also undoing price hikes and changes from 2022. My point is others need to follow suit or Tesla becomes more attractive to the consumer. Also @IAC makes a simple point; people will look the other way with their political views when their Model 3 or Y starts looking like it has more value in price compared to something else.

And for anyone who doesn’t think a company that sells 2 out of every 3 EVs in this country has major influence on pricing, I have to assume that individual can’t be persuaded.

5 Likes