Prediction that other EV manufacturers will react to Tesla price cuts

Magic mineral price reduction?

Ford should try incentivized leases to move their EVs. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are they still selling every unit made?

I think so.

Lightnings are still not available on the Ford Inventory search but you can order a build with a 4-month turnaround on certain trims.

So they don’t really need to incentivize leases… that’s just a selfish wish for myself. :slight_smile:

1 Like

To dealers. I’ve seen Lightning sit for months… especially the 23s.

Ford only sold 4,466 last quarter which is pitiful.

Ford will have to make a decision whether they want to subsidize floorplan for the dealers or subsidize the customer for higher sales then.

2 Likes

Lightning flip game was already over. Lariats getting into the $60k range on carsandbids.

2 Likes

Probably higher trims.

KoolAid still strong for XLTs in SoCal… still haven’t seen one on a lot for MSRP.

But I stopped looking a few months ago.

Dealers should have at least 3-5 trucks on the lot anyways… or else what use are they for?

Maybe they will repurpose leftovers with floorplan and mileage subsidy to use as demo cars.

What better way to push for volume?

“To further spur demand, Ford is also offering a $1,000 discount for shoppers who custom order certain models through dealers by July 31. Ford’s credit arm is also offering 1.9 percent financing on 36-month loans.”

2 Likes

There are one or two on most Ford dealer lots here in NH. Under MSRP too

1 Like

Seems like the latter calls the former into question. If you can only sell 1,500 of these a month you got a problem since that isn’t going to keep a production line viable for very long. That simply can’t be the amount of these Ford planned to be making more than a year after its release.

To me the main issue with the F-150 is it is shooting for a very small demographics. You need someone who 1. Wants an EV, 2. Wants a full size pick up truck, 3. Doesn’t really need a full size pick up (towing or hauling kill the range) and 4. Has $70k to $100k to spend. That’s not a big universe of people.

Caveat being, these trucks surely made more sense when rates were low. With rates at 2% you could stretch out loans or make lease numbers work. Whole new ballgame now.

3 Likes

the heaviest thing most full size pick ups tow/haul is their owners ego.

4 Likes

I think the pickup market is fairly large and EVs obviously the future; being first mover in that market is a big advantage. I understand your points but slightly disagree with them. Honestly, I just think it’s terrible execution on their end.

Looks like Ford fell for the classic “Chinese bicycle” fallacy.

2 Likes

I guess Ford heard about that first cybertruck rolling of the production line, and decided this was the right play…smh

I’m gonna start compiling a list of some classic Ford quotes/jokes

1. Quality is Job #1
  2. The automaker says improved plant capacity and lower costs are helping it sell the electric truck for less.
  3. Ford Built Tough

had to Google Chinese Bicycle fallacy

I googled it too and still don’t understand. :frowning:

Someone ELI5!!

2 Likes

I googled as well, my guess is that max means Ford saw a big opportunity but didn’t do their due diligence (the market that EC99 described as being niche on top of shifting rates)

1 Like

Who couldn’t see this coming at the beginning of this year when they raised MSRPs AND built mostly just the trucks over $80k. Makes sense sales plummeted.

3 Likes

It’s usually cited as a weakness in a business plan or pitch. A new entrant in, say, the bicycle business forecasts that they’ll be selling 500k units in year 3. And it can’t be too hard because all they need is a tiny market share % of a market where 50 Million units are sold a year.

Regardless of how tiny the % is, selling that many units is a big hill to climb. When you frame it as “we are going to have to steal away 500,000 customers from the established market leaders,” the scale of the challenge becomes a lot more clear than thinking “we are just going to take 1% of the market.”

7 Likes