Potentially great deals on 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth manual ($200-$300 per month)

I heard yesterday that Fiat is now offering an additional $1,500 incentive that can be applied to all 124s with a manual transmission. Combine that with some of the other incentives, and I think there is a hackable deal here. A good number of dealers are offering aggressive dealer discounts.

And you want a manual in this car anyway! Out of all the cars I drove in 2018, the most fun I had behind the wheel was in a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth manual. These cars weigh 2,500 lbs, are rear-wheel drive, have a turbocharged engine with a wonderful exhaust note, and are just awesome, so I’ve had my eye on these.

The 2018 models have the most incentives, and the residuals barely differ from the 2019s right now, so you need to target a 2018. Fortunately, there are still quite a few 2018s still on lots around the country. Now is probably the right time of year to negotiate on a roadster as well – fewer buyers in winter. Ally increases the residuals for 2019 model year cars by 2 points; at Chrysler Capital there is only a 1 point difference. So stick with a 2018!

Some regions of the U.S. have additional incentives that really help this deal come together. Texas for example is showing this (from Autobytel):

That extra $2500 of Southwest bonus cash is not available in other regions. The IDL cash is for if you lease through Ally, U.S. Bank, or another lender that’s not Chrysler Capital. Anyone know if you can combine that IDL cash with the loyalty and other incentives, or do you lose those if you choose the IDL? I’ve never actually done an FCA deal with the IDL cash because I’ve always ended up using Chrysler Capital.

Chrysler Capital’s RV isn’t great, but it might be good enough with a large enough discount.
36/10
2019: .00161 MF and 44% residual. $1500 bonus cash
2018: .00061 MF and 43% residual. $1500 bonus cash

Ally is offering 39 months/15k miles at a 49% residual. That would be the sweet spot, but I don’t know what their MF is for the car right now. Anyone know?

A dealer discount of at least $5000 should be achievable. I’m seeing 2018s with that sort of discount. My local dealer will take $4750 off any 2019 for me, so there should be more achievable with a 2018, especially if a dealer needs to make their target this month.

A deal through Chrysler Capital, $5k dealer discount, and $4500 of incentives would give you this, at $325 per month.

But if you can get all the incentives, that Ally residual value number, and a better dealer discount than $5k, there should be potential for a smoking deal on this car. And it’s so much fun to drive.

8 Likes

I learned that special Southwest bonus cash is available for finance only. But I also confirmed YOU CAN :slight_smile: stack the IDL with the other incentives…so a great deal through Ally may be possible.

I always hate trying to figure out how these things stack.

So, $2500 IDL + $500 conquest/loyalty + $1500 manual trans is the $4500 incentives you speak of? What about that $1k “select inventory bonus”?

Is the dealer discount alone really $5k? I didn’t think they had anywhere near that much profit built into these.

1 Like

$5k is definitely achievable dealer discount.

These kind of OPs are why I love the LH community. :slight_smile: Great research @WBL

2 Likes

is this nationwide or specific regions?

must be regional because I just looked at one on a local dealer’s site and they list $3k IDL, among the other rebates listed above.

Only that special Southwest cash was regional. I learned that cash can only be applied to a finance transaction, so there is actually no regional advantage. There is a nationwide opportunity here. $325ish per month is respectable for a car like this (way more interesting than a 3-Series or something), but the real key will be someone putting together a deal with Ally’s higher RV. That’s where the phenomenal deal will be.

OK because I screwed this up initially, the numbers through Ally don’t seem that great. But maybe I’m missing something

36/10 - 9.04% APR/53%
24/10 - 11.3% APR/57%

2018 Numbers
36/10 - 9.80% APR/51%
24/10 - 12.05% APR/55%

OK real world numbers - maybe it isn’t as bad as I thought…

This assumes a 2018 Fiat 124 Abarth with MSRP 34k. $5000 discount, and then 7250 in rebates (5250 IDL cash, 500 conquest/loyalty, $1500 manual trans bonus cash).

@28firefighter, thanks for putting all that together. Hmm. With that APR, Chrysler Capital might be better despite the lower residual, but then you don’t get the IDL cash.

Anyone know if it’s feasible to get a lower interest rate through Ally?

I dunno, it doesn’t seem like a bad deal. I just wonder how feasible a 15% discount is on these leftover 18s.

If I could justify it with my wife, I’d try nailing one down, just for fun.

These are really fun to drive. I’d encourage anyone to go take a test-drive in one of these, preferably top-down. Even at $330ish, a great car for the money.

Using Chrysler Cap numbers and removing the IDL:

Ally is definitely a better deal, even with the APR.

1 Like

I’ve just learned there’s an additional $500 incentive available on any Fiat if you’re a PenFed member. My understanding is that this incentive stacks with everything except the Military member incentive. You call PenFed and get a certificate that you give to the dealer.

I’m a PenFed member and wish I had known about this for my 500e lease, where that extra $500 would have covered two payments on my lease! There’s also a $1,000 certificate available through PenFed for Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, and Dodge leases.

Anyone can join PenFed by calling them up and becoming a member over the phone with a small donation. I became a member because they have excellent loan rates.

From PenFed:
PenFed Bonus Cash offer is valid at any franchised FCA US LLC dealer. This Bonus Cash Allowance offer is not available to the general public. Offer is additive to most current national, regional and other bonus incentives. Offer is not combinable with some private offer programs including, but not limited to, Military Program or FFA Member incentives. This offer is only valid for eligible PenFed members. To be eligible, you must have been an active PenFed member for at least 60 days. Offer Code is valid for the person named on certificate and is transferable only to immediate family members within the same household with proof of address (valid driver’s license or state identification card required). Offer Code must be presented to a franchised FCA US LLC dealer. Only one (1) original Offer Code is valid; duplicates are not. Offer Code must be redeemed at time of purchase of eligible vehicle. Only one (1) original offer code may be redeemed per eligible customer per vehicle. Offer not redeemable on a purchase/lease made prior to receiving the Offer Code. This offer is non-negotiable and not redeemable for cash. Vehicle eligibility and offer amount is subject to change without notice. See dealer for details.

1 Like

Abarth cars are very unique and fun. I am kind of regret sold my Fiat 500 Abarth last year, and currently looking for a yellow one(hopefully). it was such a great new york city car, and whoever designed abarth exhaust deserves a medal.

Aren’t Lusso an even better deal at $3000 IDL? Unless the RV changes.

That penfed cash wouldn’t stack with a Cherokee lease when I tried last month so doubt it would work on fiat

Thanks for the data point.

Somebody should work up a deal on a Lusso then. There is potential for a better deal.

For me, all the Abarth changes make the car, so that’s why I focused on the Abarth.