Potential Improvement to Calculator URL

So this is one of those random things that I’ve run into that I’ve just never mentioned, but I know that you guys really strive to make things work as well as possible here, so I want to mention it because it just keeps randomly happening as of late.

In the URL for a copied calculator link, there is a portion of the url that contains &reg_fee=, the problem with this is that some text editors, mail clients, etc, interpret the &reg as the ® symbol, becuase &reg is the html code for the registered symbol. Now, it is technically supposed to be ®, which if you type out even here you will see converts to ®, but some programs, editors, mail clients, etc, still will just convert &reg to the symbol without the ; bounding it.

Example from a recent email:
Screen Shot 2023-10-12 at 11.30.09 PM

This obviously breaks the link, resulting in a link with invalid data.

The solution seems easy at least.

Perhaps change &reg_fee= to maybe &fee_reg= or something else that avoids having &reg WHILE also maintaining the ability for the calculator to still interpret links with the old &reg_fee= scheme so that every calculator link doesn’t suddenly break, but new links copied don’t suffer from this issue. I believe this is fairly easy to implement, and you can bind both &reg_fee= and &fee_reg= to the same field.

As always, thanks to M & V for all the work you put in!

10 Likes