Positive equity and replacement options in the current market

Not all states have sales tax credits and generally the dealer that’s going to give the best deal on your next purchase isn’t going to also give the best deal on your trade.

1 Like

Can you link to some vehicles from Carvana that are fairly priced?

What a pickle. I’m currently at the end of my 2019 S60 T5 MOM lease. I’ve been dying to get rid of it since it’s lightly optioned but the deals on everything just suck right now. Especially here in Miami/South Florida. I was hoping to replace it with something different since I’ve leased two T5 Volvos in a row and before that, a Cadillac ATS. The deals on M340is are non-existent unless it’s a build…and I haven’t even been able to drive one yet at a dealership. I had an appointment to drive one several months ago and it got purchased right in front of me literally by a all cash buyer off the street as I was checking it out LOL. I was also supposed to drive one last Sunday as a walk-in but the show room was slammed and they officially scheduled me to drive it this weekend instead. G70 inventory is lacking. Only cars I’ve been able to test-drive as replacements are the Audi S4 (the lease on this was an absolute joke and a non-starter) and the S60 T8 Polestar (since Volvo no longer offers the T6 engine). I’m disappointed that Volvo got rid of the paddle shifters on this higher-end “sporty model”, the crystal shifter, and got rid of the compass in the rear view mirror among other cost-cutting moves, but this does not seem as egregious to me as BMW and other brands getting rid of power seats or part of the functionality of their NAV/multimedia system while only providing such a laughable discount. Seriously. They’re essentially asking for $800-900/mo for a car that may lack power seats and is missing key functionality from the factory. Come on…

I’ve extended my lease until April, the most Volvo allows extensions for without any sort of buy order. I am under mileage and do have equity in the vehicle but do need to repair a couple of things before I even consider buying or selling it at lease-end. Dealers near me are selling stripped-down S60 T5 MOMs like mine for $32K-35K lol…I took a brief look at used cars on Auto Trader…the situation there is much much worse.

Can’t believe I might be forced to buy out this lease :frowning: . It is definitely not a normal market when one has equity in a Volvo of all things.

If you were interested in the G70, also check out the Stinger.

Thx for the suggestion. I definitely will as I exhaust all the options available to me with the M340i and S60 T8 Polestar.

This is an issue for people who get good finance deals as well, my car is worth more than my payoff ($5k) but there really aren’t great deals out there to swap into for a similar payment. Currently have a 430xi GC.

My 2019 540i lease is ending in early September, currently planning my next vehicle. Local BMW dealer is willing to buy out my car and cut me an equity check of $1500, third party sites are giving me $2,000-$2500 above my payoff (After the taxes I have to pay to payoff the car I will be in the negatives).
I know the current market is horrible to get into a new car, but I do have about $3600 payment left on the lease + $1500 equity which I can put towards a new car purchase.
I check out the Kia stinger GT2 and genesis G70 3.3t, both are more compact and less roomy than the 5 series. 2022 stinger GT2 awd are 5-10k over sticker at local dealership, and I found a 4500miles used 2022 G70 3.3t awd fully loaded in a BMW dealer 20 miles from me listed for 3k under msrp. Another vehicle I had in mind is the Lexus GS350, 2020 used models are going for around $45,000-$47000.
I don’t plan on keeping the 5 series as it’s giving me little problem from time to time that had to be fix through dealer. I am looking for a fun and reliable car to keep for atleast 5 years if I’m going to purchase. I am spoiled with the room in a big sedan like the 540i, so preferable something slightly more roomy with decent trunk space. My budget is around $50,000 if I’m going to purchase. I would like to get some opinions and suggestions from you guys on how I should proceed. Thanks in advance

That’s way to much info dump to not to break up into paragraphs.

Fixed, hope it’s easier to read now. Sorry, Not to familiar with the editing on my phone.

Are you sure that getting a dealer to CPO your current BMW and rolling with it a few more years isn’t the best option?

Why do you want to buy from Carvana?

You should not count the 3600 payments left as equity because the new car will depreciate by a similar amount by September. For 1500 it’s probably worth waiting till September unless you are on the edge of having to buy new tires.

1 Like

I am also considering used cars with fairly low mileage on it. The 540i have some scratch/ scuff and leather peeling on headrest that needs repair before lease return that will come out to around $1000-1500. The local dealer will take the car as it is right now.

1 Like

Just know that the low mileage used cars are overpriced too and the premium you will pay is likely to deflate at some point

Sold it on a Wednesday night 12/29, got the check in the mail on Tuesday (1/4) the next week. I made sure to ask them for a signed paper from the manager confirming the equity amount I would get just in case they wanted to play any games when they cut the check. Since there’s a balance on the account they needed their accounting people to pay off the amount from Nissan first before paying the difference.

Any performance / quasi performance cars going in the 400’s/mo with 0 down? Love my LT1 but I love different performance options. I know right now there’s probably nothing, but when the market was “normal” was there any mainstays in the 400-low 500’s range? Currently paying $378 for my loaded LT1 and that was with only ~500 DAS. The horsepower per dollar is insane on this thing lol

My BMW 330i lease is up in July, so I figured I’d be hearing from the dealer soon, and I just did. My original sales guy (really a nice dude) texted me, this was our convo:

“6 months till your lease end. What are you planning on doing?”

“Want to get into a Genesis SUV but leasing on them sucks right now. If things don’t improve, will probably buy the car out at lease end.”

“I don’t think they will. Everything is going over MSRP. 3 Series are going for MSRP but that rates are higher. Buying out your lease will be a good move. You’ll need a safety check if you do decide to purchase out. Let me know…” etc. etc.

Oh BTW, I have <14K miles on it right now when it should be at 25K. Not thrilled about keeping it, love the looks but not the way it drives. I was surprised he didn’t offer to buy it since it seems like other folks are getting that from their dealers, but I guess maybe not since I told him I wasn’t going with another BMW? Anyway, he’s certainly not trying to BS me, which I appreciate. Anyone know what a “safety check” is? First I’m hearing of it.

They don’t offer out of the blue, you have to go in show them. Even Carmax needs you go online to start the process.

Safety Check aka Inspection.

Sounded like other people were getting contacted by the dealers out of the blue.

They have to do an inspection even if I’m buying out the car?

If you are buying it through the dealer, yes, if you buy it online, then no.

Now if the Dealer is CPO’ing it for you to enable it for a warranty that’s a whole different animal.