Porsche Macan Maintenance Gotcha!

I saw this video and had to share the creators claim. I know most folks likely won’t have a vehicle with 40,000 miles on it, but just in case somebody is getting the wiggle for keeping one long-term; he claims his recent Porsche service cost him over $8,000. What did it include?

1. Rear brakes and rotors
  2. 40k service
  3. Bumper halogen bulb for side marker light
  4. Adjust rear window spray nozzle
  5. Replace spark plugs
  6. Brake fluid flush
  7. Mount and balance two Pirelli P-Zero tires

Yikes! I can’t imagine the service cost for a Panamera or a 911.

That’s why you should lease them and let the second owner deal with the maintenance.

It’s $2771… ask me how I know

2 Likes

Panamera or 911?

Panamera, but 911s are similar.

The labor charges are just insane at Porsche dealers. 40k service on a Panamera requires the air filter to be changed, which requires the front bumper to be removed.

That $8k figure isn’t honestly out the realm of possibility.

Sheep are always gonna get fleeced.

There’s nothing remotely specialized in that list that a good indy couldn’t do.

What a moron… probably thinks the tiktok views are worth it.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

6 Likes

I miss the old days where the hardest thing to change the plugs on a Porsche was you had to take the wheels off because it’s a flat engine design.

It’s a labor intensive and unnecessary complex engineering at dealer labor rate that drives the cost up.

Try changing a light bulb on a Porsche without breaking any pigtail connectors and you’ll understand.

German (over)engineering at its finest!

I love Porsche and I don’t fault them charging the premiums if people are willing to pay it. However, that guy is an idiot if he paid $8k for that service.

1 Like

I would never buy a Porsche without a good indie nearby

2 Likes

engineered for maximum dealer profit

2 Likes

“A button for every function”

Whatever it is, I loved every bit of the Porsche I had. From the interior, to performance, to service… loved it. Got rid of it after 6 years coz I didn’t want to maintain it anymore :joy: it was beat up when I got rid of it and didn’t want to spend $ fixing anything… cracked windshield, scuffed bumper, dented door (kid on escooter ran into me)…

1 Like

Any more context to this? Base Macan? Turbo Macan? The costs differ whether it’s a four popper or a six cylinder with larger brakes. Regardless, this is in TikTok so I don’t believe him. Not that I don’t think it’s possible, I do, I just don’t believe this one person.

I’ve seen services on the Macan cost this much, but those ar engine-out procedures. None of these listed things require engine out.

The most complicated job in my opinion on the list are the brakes. Oddly enough, the 40k service should also include transmission flush, but no mention of that? That’s like 1500 on its own.

And as someone whose been through a few Porsche’s over the years I can also add that there can be huge disparities between what one dealer charges vs another dealer for the exact same service.

For the first basic 10k service/oil change on my 991 the dealer closest to my office wanted $600-800, yea no. Called next closest dealer, 10 miles away, and it was done for $375.

3 Likes

Agreed on finding a good independent shop for non warranty stuff. Porsche scheduled maintenance on a 991 seemed like mostly a $2,000+ ‘inspection’ with an oil change, brake fluid and air/cabin filters… Paid around $300 for the fluid changes and swapped out the filters in my garage. I guess my 997 needed spark plugs and a drive belt too as it was older.

2 Likes

If YoU cAn AfFoRd ThE cAr ThEn YoU cAn aFfOrD tHe SeRvIcE.

6 Likes

Whispers: service pricing is also negotiable.

Very true. Point in case - $695 for an alignment on my Cayenne from dealer #1, and $199 for an alignment from dealer #2.

2 Likes