Plug in hybrid tax credit end?

Now I am trying lease 2022 530e
I thought that I can discount $5800 tax credit.
But my dealership said plug in hybrid tax credit finish few year ago.
Is this true?

Assuming you talk about federal credit, certainly not true in a general sense, nothing happened to the federal tax credit.

Luckily, it’s no business of dealership, since it is your individual tax credit you receive via IRS form, and not a discount you receive at the dealership.

This currently is not true. Under the current ev credit, on a lease, the tax credit goes to the bank, and they choose if they’re going to pass on an equivalent amount incentive or not. BMW lately has chose not to pass that on. You DO NOT get to file for the tax credit with the IRS on a lease.

Under the build back better act, which has not yet passed, this would change to be direct to consumer as either a tax credit or a point of sale rebate. In that case, it would be out of the dealerships hands.

You have two issues here. The first is that if you are leasing, BMW FS is entitled to the tax credit and it is up to them to pass it on or not. The second is if you are trying to buy it in 2021 or 2022. If it is next year, we don’t know if there will be tax credits. It does look like 22 models qualify currently if you finance or pay cash: Federal Tax Credits for All-Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles

Shocker that this is available. Usually there’s a big run on these at EOY, along with anything over 6k lbs (guess there is neither rn).

But I think OP’s misconception of the tax credit is that you qualify with a lease. You are not purchasing the car, therefore do not get the tax credit. BMWFS is purchasing the car, and leasing it to you, therefore they get the credit and can choose to pass it (which they don’t at this time).

I missed the OP saying they are leasing. My bad.

Pretty clear

1 Like

Looks like you typed yoir answer faster than I edited mine.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.