Personal finance tips - Sell or keep my car

Hi all,

Long time lurker, but first time thread starter. Im reaching out to seek guidance on my current situation.

My wife and I currently have two cars, one that’s leased and the other which is financed. We find ourselves using the leased vehicle as our DD, and the other car doesn’t get as much love (i.e., sits in our driveway). We’re looking to buy a home deeper out in the suburbs within the next 12 -18 months, which would require having two cars.

Does it make sense to get rid of the second car now, and buy or lease something else once we need the car? I did some high-level math, and we’re paying roughly $600 a month for this vehicle, and it gets driven ~50-100 miles a month.

Many thanks in advance!

Probably worth ditching it now.

4 Likes

That’s what I was leaning towards as well. The only thing holding me back is the possibility of not finding a decent car / deal if and when we move. However, both are uncertainties (car market and timing of the move), so I should probably hold less weight on those factors.

The market seems to be starting to soften, so your equity in your current vehicle is likely to continue to go down and the price you’d pay for a new one is likely to continue to go down. Rising interest rates are really the big risk. You’re also talking about $10k in holding expenses between now and then on the current vehicle. A recession is a good time to cut unneeded expenses.

2 Likes

All of that makes sense to me - sometimes the most obvious answer gets overlooked. I think I’m just overthinking my options… haha

1 Like

The other question is when is your lease up on the leased vehicle? If you have between 6 and 12 months left, and you think you won’t find something at a comparable price, you have to factor that into the equation as well.

First what is the mystery vehicle? Would help to know this.

My lease is up in May of 2025 haha so plenty of time.

1 Like

2017 Audi S3

And the financed car?

Comes down to what each is worth in the open market. One thing to note is the lease has a dedicated rip cord at the end of lease, Audi FS is either gonna hold the bag, break even, or make some $$$. The financed car is basically your problem.

There also the math you have to consider with buying the home… interest rates are up inventory still low so your 12-18 month timeframe may move out longer which favors selling the financed vehicle.

And if we are talking over year’s time in the first place… there may be better lease deals for cars then… as long as some supply chain event doesn’t reoccur.

1 Like

I ended up selling my 2017 S3 over the weekend. I thought about putting an order for the 2023 Mustang, since the 2024 is a new generation. But given the timing of when that order would come in, I’ve decided not to. Hopefully the newer generation grows on me…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.