PenFed Has Stopped Accepting Payment Saver Auto Loan Applications

I was curious to understand this program since it is outside my experience, found this thread from March 2020! If only they had done it then, probably the last year and half is the only time the RV is cheap compared to the price of the car on many a car coming off lease assuming you stuck to the allotted miles and there is no accident or damage or abuse

I found 2 more that you can join with membership, I should put together a list probably and link it here. Tons of credit unions that offer these products nationwide.

https://www.edgefcu.org/why-edge.html?showtab=3

I will compile a list state by state that has this product if people are interested. Some of them you can donate and become an honorary member to get access to the membership. Iā€™ll keep you guys posted.

Florida + all other states if you donate $5
https://www.gcfcu.org/Join-Us

Cheers!

4 Likes

Are there ones that actually have the 2.99 rate? Mountain crest had a 4.49 rate that pretty much makes it non competitive vs a lease.

Back to DCU we goā€¦? :slight_smile:

Edit: nvm, no balloon options there - remembered it wrong

It is highly unlikely youā€™ll see a balloon program with rates less than 4%. If you looked hard you may find one down in the 3.5% range. The way it typically works is AFG takes the CUā€™s retail rates and marks them up 1% which is how they make money since there is no acq fee.

So balloon programs through AFG will typically have a low RV and high rates plus full sales tax. This means you are paying a much higher payment compared to a lease. Youā€™ll pay down a lot of depreciation so you will definitely want to look at the equity opportunity towards the end of the term and most likely refi the balloon payment. Very few of them are upside down because they are using a RV at 90% of ALG which is already super conservative.

Several captives, banks and CUs used to offer balloons but the only ones that still do are the CUs that are using AFGā€™s program. The ones that stoped balloons focused on leasing because that has a much higher demand level and awareness with consumers and dealers.

2 Likes

Affinity has good rates.

Loan Types Term APR as low as5
New Auto Up to 36 Months 1.39%
Up to 48 Months 1.54%
Up to 60 Months 1.76%
Up to 72 Months 2.11%
Up to 84 Months 2.36%
Up to 96 Months 4.37%
Used Auto Up to 36 Months 1.77%
Up to 48 Months 1.92%
Up to 60 Months 2.01%
Up to 72 Months 2.25%
Up to 84 Months 3.01%
Older Model Used Auto Up to 36 Months 6.49%
37-60 Months 7.11%
4 Likes

Remember that a lease has extra financing costs that do not apply to financing. Acq fee is the big one. Also disp unless one plans to remain ā€œloyalā€ to a single corporation for their whole life.

1 Like

Penfed was at 2.74% 5 years ago and now the car I financed in June was 3.99% ā€¦

I donā€™t keep my cars long enough to care what the rate is ā€¦ 2-3 years and most leases are in the area of 4-6% on cars I buy ā€¦ plus the $1k acquisition fee makes it silly. Sure, I pay full sales tax but then I donā€™t have to deal with the BS of turn in etc ā€¦ well worth the difference.

Iā€™m on my 9th year and about 4th car doing this with penfed. Bummer they donā€™t offer it, but I found a local CU that will do the same. Iā€™m glad the product exists, why tie up so much when you can invest and spend it on other things ;).

Cheers.

1 Like

I used Penfed payment saver to buy all of my cars. Gearing up for my next purchase, Iā€™ve started looking other CU that offer AFGā€™s payment saver program - GPO seems to have the best rates, but no easy way to join. Not sure if somebody can find a backdoor in. Become a Member | GPO Federal Credit Union - GPO Federal Credit Union

Itā€™s not technically a balloon financing program, but the First Republic PLOC I recently went for can be treated as one.

For example, you can borrow $40K for a car and make monthly interest payments (and any principal you want to pay down, say $500 per month) during the two-year ā€œdrawā€ period, and then pay off the remaining principal in one lump sum once 24 months have elapsed (e.g., $28,00).

The 2.25% rate is pretty competitive and thereā€™s no lienholder to deal with. Downside is that the draw period is only two years.

1 Like

So itā€™s the automotive equivalent of a HELOC?

2 Likes

This is interesting for say a Tacoma; while dated it often doesnā€™t depreciate much. 2 years from now it would be worth very close to MSRP?

1 Like

Sorta, except thereā€™s no collateral and you have a revolving sum of funds to draw from at any time during the first two years.

1 Like

do you know if thereā€™s a penalty for pre-paying on the auto advantage program?

I have never been charged a penalty for paying off a paysaver loan early with PenFed.

Here are the most promising CUā€™s w/ a paysaver program:

Teachers Federal Credit Union (open membership)
AmeriCU Credit Union. (membership w/ donation)

I was not able to get into SEFCU or MountainCrest FCU.

I am also working with Vermont FCU, but they are not open membership.

In Michigan I used an AFG balloon loan from Frankenmuth Credit Union, which only required you to be a MI resident to qualify. When I closed the loan in October, the rate was 2.75% for up to 72 months on balloon (they call it Drive Sense Lease Lookalike). It is not at 2.99% at least until March when the Fed raises rates.

There are many credit unions nationwide that support the AFG loan, but have very quirky eligibility requirements, such as being in a teacherā€™s union, firefighter/police, member of certain church groups, etc. Keep digging and Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find one near you.

1 Like

I remember how a 72 m loan was a novelty frowned upon, putting people severely upside downā€¦Seeing a 96m option made my eyes popā€¦at 4%+

Crazy

Latest BALLON LOAN options (best to worst):

CapEd Credit Union (https://capedcu.com/)
They offer a payment saver loan option (via AFG) at a 3.84% rate. Membership to the CU is possible via a $20 donation to CapEd Foundation. Also offers a 2.14% rate for 96 months, so one application gives you both options. Uses transunion credit for initial score

Hanscom Federal Credit Union (https://hfcu.org/)
Better then a lease loan offering is backed by AFG at a 3.74% rate. Membership to the CU is possible via a $35 donation to Nashua River Watershed Association. Uses transunion credit for score.

AmeriCU Credit Union (https://americu.org/)
Membership via $15 one-time donation to American Consumer Council. Uses experian for credit score. Payment came back very high, not sure what rates/fees they used.

Teachers Federal Credit Union (https://teachersfcu.org/)
Open membership, anyone can join. Paysaver rates not posted, but you can apply for paysaver loan via the website. Uses transunion credit for score. Came back with a rate over 5%

Regional options (not-open-membership) to consider:
SEFCU (NY),
MountainCrest FCU (WA),
Vermont FCU (VT),
Frankenmuth CU (MI)

Lowest available BALLON LOAN rate found was 2.49% but I did not qualify. Note that fees charged between providers can vary. At minimum, expect a $725 origination fee for vehicles over $75K. In one case, I was quoted $1500 for origination. Expect a hard pull immediately after submitting your application online.

14 Likes

Frankenmuth CU offering 1.99 for 48 months. Lowest Iā€™ve seen.

This sounds like a conventional loan rate. For this product, DCU is the lowest.

1 Like