Paying over MSRP for Genesis? Anyone believes it is true and not a trick?

CF is a fantastic material… Repairability, however, is not one of its strong suits. Cutting out a section and bonding in a new one, particularly if it’s at a normal bonding interface, is far less painful than trying to scarf in new plies as part of a repair.

1 Like

Exactly what I meant. I default to you as the materials expert.

One of its flaws.

Agreed.

1 Like

Or just use vinyl with a CF weave pattern

2 Likes

(*) Disclaimer, adds 50hp to any car.

1 Like

This hurts me more than a 1% discussion

5 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 4

First if someone is going to repair any car’s chassis with vinyl, they have bigger problems.

Also, a CF weave can’t be replicated by vinyl. I have seen a bunch of crap ones and one that is pretty good from 3+ feet away, but you can tell it is vinyl from close up. And for what they charge ($1000 to do just a hood and it can’t be bent over complex surfaces like mirrors), you are better off just paying for the real thing.

Back to the GV80, I saw one last night and it is easily one of the ugliest new vehicles I have seen in a while. It looked decent in pictures, but in person all of the body lines are going in different directions and it looks like the rear suspension collapsed with how the roof line is shaped. Could not imagine someone taking willingly taking this over a German brand or Lexus.

I have 3 at MSRP if anyone wants them. I’m going to make a marketplace thread for them and just delete it when and if they sell.

We’ve been encouraged to remind everyone to stay On Topic, even if this is the Off Ramp. Which I guess means back to paying sticker+ on a Genesis? :thinking:

1 Like

How much junk in the trunk and by junk I mean unmarked $100 bands.

No better way to tell the world you’ve given up on all of your dreams.

Full disclosure: I repurposed that from a very old joke Dennis Miller joke

So I just wanted to update this thread now that I’ve had a moment to actually go and check one out like I said I would.

It really is quite nice. You look for places that they could have cheap’d out and I didn’t notice anything immediately. The door cards, dash, arm rests, everything is leather wrapped. The screen is large, high definition, and responds quickly, though I can’t speak to function of the infotainment. The AC controls, while digital, do have a bit of tactile feedback when you tap them which is a really nice touch.

This is certainly going to feel a bit more luxurious than most other competition in its segment. If you can get over the fact that its a Hyundai, its hard to deny how nice it is inside. Without the third row, there really is an absolute ton of room in the back.

4 Likes

That’s steering wheel though :nauseated_face:

I saw a G80 driving around in DC the other day and I must say it looked really sharp. Smaller in person vs pictures.

I know, that is the one thing I don’t like. I find it odd looking, but it is what it is. It does feel nice, it’s thick and the leather is quality.

At least on the gv70, they’re offering two different steering wheels

1 Like

Do you think it’s that hard for people (genuine question)? I mean, it shares no sheetmetal and virtually no interior parts (maybe the infotainment UX, though?). I do think it’s important for Hyundai to spin off Genesis-specific dealerships, but I don’t think it’d be that hard for people to get over the Hyundai connection otherwise.

1 Like

I don’t particularly think so, if you didn’t know, you probably wouldn’t be able to tell besides what I assume is a subpar dealer/service experience for a luxury brand.

Yup, same infotainment ux, but the Hyundai system is quite good

1 Like

The biggest problem with any Genesis is the fact that they are serviced at Hyundai dealers. My buddy shelled out for a brand Néw G80 was told that they have dedicated mechanics for Genesis.

The problem is he waits weeks for a service appointment. Has a hard time getting a loaner and basic repairs take too long because the 3 mechanics that work on Genesis at the dealer are all backed up.

Genesis needs their own dealer network just like Infiniti and Lexus to grow.

Are all genesis entitled to free pickup and drop off vehicle service or was that limited to G90 buyers?