Pay off XC90 vs. buying a new Palisade/Telluride or other SUVs

Hello hackrs!

I have one dumb question — I leased a 2020 Volvo XC90, which expires next month and the payoff cost is around 40K with 30K miles so far. Since I have two kiddos, I need to make a decision whether to pay off this car or buy a new SUV from Toyota/Hyundai/Kia. If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

I know the question sounds dumb because it depends on the situation, but generally, would you prefer to payoff the car? There are some pros/cons I can come up with.

XC90’s merit

1. If I ended up selling this one a couple of years later, Volvo would have more value.
  2. Feels safer. Door frame looks much more solid than the others
  3. Luxury :wink:

Palisade/Telluride or other SUVs from Toyota/Honda

1. In my area, I have to drive 40 minutes to get to Volvo maintenance, but other brands are nearby.
  2. Hyundai/Kia’s 10 years warranty looks very charming
  3. new car!

your volvo is not worth its payoff. you’d immediately be flipped on it. should be returned and lease a new one. volvos should be owned, not leased.

6 Likes

The question isn’t dumb. What’s mind boggling is why you left it so late.

You could have easily ordered a Telluride at sticker 6 months ago… GL paying less than 15% ADM now.

None of these seem to really hold up under scrutiny.

You’ll probably pay more in depreciation and finance charges if buying out the XC90.

Safety is more than a feeling. If anything you’ll have more active/passive safety aids on a 2023 Toyota/Hyundai/Kia that will help you avoid an accident. And crash survivability is well documented in IIHS testing.

If you take away the badge which one is actually the most luxurious?

2 Likes

your volvo is not worth its payoff. you’d immediately be flipped on it. should be returned and lease a new one. volvos should be owned, not leased.

I have a 2020 XC90 T6 Inscription with 28k miles. My payoff (including one final payment) is currently $41.6k. I thought I could break even or squeeze a few grand out of buying it. Has the market tanked that much on these?

You’re not gonna get a penny . :innocent:

1 Like

Ouch. Well I guess it’s VCFS’ problem now!

2 Likes

it’s worthless.

1 Like

Dealer will probably list it at 60k

1 Like

a used 2020 xc90 going to be listed at 60k?

Certified T8 will be. Most T8 around me are listed around that price

Just double check web site listings…

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d523&zip=11554#listing=343513573/NONE

Hmmm…
Mike, Are You SURE this is the correct statement?

2 Likes

no, the opposite is true. december was very long and i’m still asleep.

6 Likes

Got it. Happy New Year BTW.

1 Like

Flipped lol