Paint scratches

Noticed these random scratches all over my roof new Honda 3 months old, any ideas where this is coming from ? Paint quality issue ?
I did go to car wash today and then noticed it :thinking:

Is there snow where you are? Car washes can be brutal when roads are salted (spiderweb effect on paint). Don’t know enough about paint to weigh in on quality issues.

Or maybe Elon did it.

Haven’t seen any snow here yet , but they have sprayed a lot of salt here hence why I took the wash. no it is not a Tesla

What are you driving nowadays Abe?

You take that to Oakleys on Emmons? :joy:

Probably your culprit right there. Unless you are hand washing with the two-bucket method and using clean mitts/towels, it is bound to happen and gets worse with the quality of the wash as you move from hand washing down to machines.

Those scratches look really rough, though. It’s a lot more than just swirling. You think that could come from a machine wash or two?

1 Like

Probably from an automatic car wash. Wouldn’t be surprised given all the salt, dirt, and grime trapped right now in a machine’s brushes. All of that is being pressed and spun against the paint. A hand wash wouldn’t cause marring this bad unless someone was pressing down as hard as possible.

And this is why I do not use automatic car washes. It’s clear from the scratches on the hood and fender it was a machine. Can’t get evenly shaped and spaced scratches like that on a hand wash.

I know, I know, it’s a Civic, but it’s gonna cost a lot more to polish that off.

1 Like

I don’t even take my 10-year-old beater CRV through an automatic wash.

1 Like

its the car wash

source : i worked at one and saw this happen plenty of times

heres what i would do: they have cameras you should be able to file a claim and get this paid out
the brushes got out of calibration and went defcon3 on your civic

4 Likes

A Honda civic the only car the Mrs will drive

I neither have the time nor dedicated enough to my car to wash by hand…

1 Like

[quote=“drdvrgs, post:10, topic:443698, full:true”]
its the car wash

source : i worked at one and saw this happen plenty of times

heres what i would do: they have cameras you should be able to file a claim and get this paid out
the brushes got out of calibration and went defcon3 on your civic
[/quote] I guess what I’ll need to do. It’s a huge conveyor belt kind of place with tens of workers and kinda rough attitudes if you know what I mean…

There are places that will do it for you and it isn’t any more expensive than automatic washes. Plenty of places near me that charge $10-$15 for a hand wash and it takes 15-20 minutes.

In NYC ? More specifically Brooklyn? I don’t mind paying say $20-30 for a wash but all the places that do hand wash I used in the past are like $70 and appointments

1 Like

How do I polish it off ?

Bro, everytime I saw this shit happened I filed a claim for them, It wasn’t my money. The company paid out of pocket

If you go to that car wash
You will see plenty of cameras before you go in, to protect themselves from the false accusers

3 Likes

Will go in tomorrow, thanks bro

I don’t know about NYC. I am sure there are some NYC LH’s that can help with recommendations.

That is a 2 to 3-step polish and that is not something easily done for an amateur. Your best bet is to find a professional to do it since you will spend just as much buying the equipment as just paying someone.

But if you really want to do it, you will need a dual-action polisher plus pads, microfiber towels, compound, and polish. Chemical Guys and Adams Polishes have user-friendly guides and products. Chicago Auto Pros/Car Supplies Warehouse will carry your higher-end equipment and detailed videos.

3 Likes

You can technically hand polish it if absolutely needed. There’s a ton of good YouTube videos on what products to use for hand polishing - depends on how much cut you need to get those scratches out. If it can’t be polished, you may need to do a compound then a polish. Even a cheap meguiars polish at an autozone should do. But if you do decide to hand polish - make absolutely sure you’re working on a pristinely clean surface. Otherwise you can introduce more scratches.

Personally I’m a weekend detailer when it comes to my own cars, so I’ve invested in some equipment that most people can’t justify buying. But enough elbow grease can produce great results by hand.

But I would make sure the car wash tells you to go kick rocks before doing the DIY route.