Painful....emailing dealers for a quote

Sent a few detailed emails today trying to get a quote (to dealers of cars not represented here). The quotes all provided all the details including what I wanted, how long, miles, my credit, conquest and Costco info. Overwhelmingly, none of them read the email. (okay 1 did), all uniformly gave the same BS I need to talk to you on the phone, etc.

Sorry Venting…how do I get a serious conversation going?

1 Like

Having same issue. Even though I clearly state that I only want to be contacted via email at this point, they insist on a call or in person visit. I’ve even gave in and called them to ask for detailed price quote with all the breakdowns and I get a generic email with just an inflated per month cost.

I’ve just learned to move onto the next one.

1 Like

When I email dealerships to work on deals, I always tell them 2 things:

1. I only wish to communicate via email.
  2. I’m e-mailing multiple dealerships and my decision is based on price alone, so come to me with best offers.

Some of them will drop out because they want you to come into the dealership, but those probably weren’t the ones you wanted anyways.

2 Likes

Tell them you are buying today, from the dealer who gives the best deal via email. Also, try more dealers. And look at it with patience. Those dealers who aren’t cooperating now, will spam you at the beginning of next month asking how they can help you, then you mighy get better information.

1 Like

Find an AutoNation dealer and request pricing. They will send you SmartChoice℠ Price worksheet within an hour. Done!

1 Like

Look for other dealers and surely you can find the best one. Sometimes, you should look for dealers that have already trusted customer service in terms of their positive customers reviews and testimonies.

Be persistent. And try to get the email address of the internet or fleet salesman, if they have one. Odds are you are going back and forth with the BDC they have no ability to actually negotiate anything. They are paid to create sales leads out of people who contact the dealership via email or the chat features on the websites. They get more money if they get you to call, come in, actually see a salesman, buy the car etc…
Dig around on the dealers website for a link to an internet sales person. Failing that, call and ask for internet sales. Once you have a name you should be able to get an email address or figure one out.
Good luck, dont give up.

2 Likes

I find that most dealers have been trained to try to get you in the door. The ISM (Internet Sales Manager) will point you to a sales person who you can then have a sales conversation with you. When you have the conversation be sure to set the tone on how you want your interaction to go and what if any time you can spend at the dealership. In the last few transactions I have made I only go in to the dealership to sign the deal. Most times I won’t even drive off the lot I prefer to get it delivered to the house so we can program everything and I can get the full tutorial on the features. It’s good to advise them that you are working with other dealers but let them figure out who the competition is. Lastly homework in the LH archives is essential. Good luck.

I don’t get why online they ask you for your preference of phone or email, and then basically refuse email and blow your phone up with phone calls anyways. If you’re going to call me anyways and insist on phone calls, why ask if I prefer email?

I emailed 6 Caddy dealers with offers their in stock ATS-V’s…only one replied then replied back and said GM Financial doesn’t allow out of state leases.

Why this persistence to not go in. It rately has worked for me in NYC/LI market. I do go in and you build a rapport with a salesman. After that makes it easy for future purposes.

3 Likes

don’t ever say this to a salesperson. that’s literally the worst way to get a good price.

4 Likes

as a salesperson… USE TEXT. some stores do not even have a dedicated internet team, so who you’re really talking to is a appointment setter that has no clue how to do a lease or quote. even a lot of sales people are not trained to give quotes. it’s really hard to ignore someone that’s texting you. most salespeople don’t even check their email. TBH they don’t need to do that extra legwork to lose money when there’s 5 other people that are okay with just coming into the store off 80 phone calls done.

shoot a dealer an email. tell them you’re super busy with work but you’re looking to buy asap with good credit. give them your number to text and request that. 9/10 if they don’t know the answer to your question they are just going to take the text to their sales manager anyway… which will tell them to tell you to come in or theyll help them to get you your answer. or you can call the store and ask to speak to a manager about a price because you have kids, limited schedule, whatever the situation.

leasing is not an easy concept for most and they have no clue what a cap cost reduction is or what you pay tax on because that is not something most are trained in except directors/managers/etc.

9 Likes

My advice, don’t be afraid to call in and talk to someone. A lot of times there are incentives that require you to qualify for on new vehicles. Plus, hearing a voice can sometimes let you know how honest the salesperson is. In my experience as an Internet Sales Manager one 5-10 minute call can cover 15-20 emails. The benefit to the customer is that you don’t get confused at the start of the next month when all incentives change again.

As far as used cars, I can’t tell you how many times, in my 14 years in the business, I spent weeks emailing one person and sold it to the guy who just called me and bought it first.

1 Like

Also, reply to emails. Most are tracked any way and the salesman sees that you opened it.

Sadly, there are a lot of untrained people at dealers that don’t read the notes. I will, in that circumstance try emailing a few times and if no response then attempt to reach you on the phone as a last resort.

Dealers are often very busy on the weekend. Wait till midweek to get a reply.

What would you recommend saying instead? I always though it best to be fully transparent and let them know I’m shopping around the sale to multiple dealerships. I’ve also had dealerships try to stick to their guns on pricing because they were “right down the road”.

Did you even read her next post?

1 Like

I have the opposite problem. When I enter my information and select the car in Costco or USAA-Trucar, I receive multiple emails, from dealers in the area with offers matching model I am interested in. Try entering in your information in Costco program, select your care and waite to the flood of emails to come in.