Out of state leasing?

Hunting for an ioniq 5 lease in OR. Dealers are just not playing ball in Portland and are eating the state rebate themselves. CA dealers are so much cheaper (probably because of higher volume).

Is it even possible to lease one out of state and register in OR?

yes. checkout marketplace section in this forum - most brokers deal across state lines.

This is more correct regarding Hyundai, the bigger ones like Jeff won’t do it.

1 Like

Hm I thought it’s the kind of business that benefits from expanding the base. But I guess focus might make it less troublesome. thanks for correction

Not really, no repeat business, higher chance of fraud, no easy recourse if need to repo.

CA and TX hate selling out of state.

1 Like

I don’t live in OR but I’ve leased out of state many times, in many states. California seems to be the one place where nobody wants to do it though.

Indeed that’s what I’m seeing. They all say “no way jose, too complicated”

Almost anything is possible with enough effort to find the willing dealer and drive it back.

Someone posted about getting an Ioniq in Utah and driving it back to California

Not relevant for OP, he’s in Oregon and wants to get it from California. CA dealers don’t like letting go of their cars.

Now going all the way to UT to OR, that’s a fun drive.

I’m sure this applies everywhere, but I’ve seen a lot of deceptive advertising and stingy dealers in so cal; e.g. advertising $2,500 off MSRP and $7,500 incentive, when we know there’s a $10k incentive available and the $2,500 off MSRP is probably just getting subtracted from the lease incentive.

A few dealers have said they don’t have any dealer add-ons or they won’t include them in the price; so for the sake of trying to get something done, I’ve entered numbers into the LH calculator (using $2,500 off + $10k incentive, local taxes & fees, standard one-pay MF) and made offers, to get responses that we’re thousands off. One even told me they weren’t marking up the MF and no bogus fees, which leads me to believe they’re only offering $2,500 off MSRP by removing it from the lease incentive and engineering the accounting.

Considering the amount of supply in the region, one would think they would be more motivated to move these; but in my experience, they’re not.

Guessing TX is because of the weird sales tax rules for leases and CA, well it’s CA.

1 Like