Out of state deal—dealer increased the shipping cost

Hello Hackers,

I have signed all the paperwork and the car is funded this week. However today the dealer told me they can not find any shippers for the quoted price, they have to increase the shipping fee from $800 to $1400. And I will need to pay the difference.

Anyone has the same issue? I feel very disappointed…

Thanks

Then find your own shipper?

4 Likes

Yes, look for your own shipping. Or pay the extra.

1 Like

Shipping right now is ridiculous. I just shipped a car from California to Florida. Expected cost was $1000. It had to be bumped over $1600 to get a truck to bite.

1 Like

From my experience, shipping is about as unpredictable for dealers as it is for consumers. My guess is that a shipper agreed to take your car for $800, then backed out for some reason, so the dealer could not get someone else to ship it until they offered $1,400. See if they can offer you a more transparent explanation, but this does not sound particularly out of the ordinary—especially with additional complications arising from COVID-19 and travel quarantines.

PJ

I don’t want to speak out of turn for a certain broker here who also ships, but we just discussed this a couple weeks ago. Sounds like it’s all about destination, and whether the truck can come back empty or full. IIRC to California right now is significantly cheaper than FROM CA.

OP I would start making calls and see if you can do better than the dealer. Good luck!

Shipping is :skull_and_crossbones:, I’ve received dealer quotes for 1400 for full sizes from North Carolina to Miami.

Shipping a car coast to coast was then 1100 for a similar car. Conditions and all this fun pandemic stuff make shipping a nightmare right now.

Things are weird right now as reframed by fellow brokers and trusteds.

I would tell them to keep the car. If you have already placed a security deposit, fight for it. You have the advantage. Chances are you can get the same deal elsewhere.

If you don’t want to do that, I know a guy that I had a great experience with just about two weeks ago. Very responsive and professional and gave me a great price.

Private message me if you want his contact info.

Shipping pricing in nuts right now. We should to ship to NorCal for 350-400$; now its like $1,000 and they can’t even guarantee a pickup date.

Id take the $1400 deal or find something local to you.

Inaccurate title

So shipping out of Florida was pulling huge prices a few weeks back, so at the time, anything going into Florida was abnormally cheap. I had multiple people tell me $1kish at the time. Things changed between then and when it happened. Fortunately, the shipping broker I used honored the $1000 price he quoted me, but I know he took a bath on the back side.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for everyone’s reply. The car was finally picked up and delivered by a shipper I found online. Next time when negotiate a out of state deal, I will definitely secure a shipping before signing to avoid any surprise after sale.

1 Like

What did the online shipper charge?

$1050, cheaper than what the dealership asked.

1 Like