One month old EQS damaged, file a claim or pay out of pocket?

I got a EQS in late March, and after having it for little over a month, the missus (with the help of a concrete pillar) decided to improve its looks by adding stripes on the right side, both doors and rear quarter.

We both have a clean driving record no tickets no at fault claims in 10+ years, 1 minor fender bender last year (not at fault).

We switched insurance a little over a month (when we got the EQS). Current rate $1600 per year.

Given that we are new customers to this insurance company, how likely is it that they would terminate the contract if we file a claim?

Should I consider paying out of pocket, Instead of filing a claim?

If I do file a claim how much of a rate increase can I expect?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Figure your rate will jump ~30% with a claim for 3 years so total of around 2.5-3k to file a claim including deductible. Would be surprised if damage isn’t significantly more than that. Wouldn’t expect geico would drop you for a single claim but your rate will increase at renewal.

2 Likes

That looks like 2 doors and the rear quarter? I try not to file claims as well but that’s probably $5,000+ if I had to guess. That’s kind of my threshold for filing.

3 Likes

That’s not going to be cheap that you can pay out of pocket for.

Yes

I think so too but I will try to get estimates over the weekend.

That’s not so bad, I hope you are right.

No one here has the answer. All depends on each individual policy owners profile. My wifes X7 got rear ended last month and we have progressive. She just got a new car which Progressive couldnt insure cause of their dumb $150k max limit. I switched that one car over to Geico and the premium difference with and without the accident reflected was $110 over 6 months. Now that doesn’t mean it could stay like that so only time will tell how much more our rates change.

1 Like

I’d guess way more than $5k.

2 Likes

Yeah. I just went back and checked my records. My wife had similar damage when sideswiped about 5 years ago. $14,000. Thankfully, I fought the liability decision hard, as she was stationary, and was able to remove the incident from my policy.

1 Like

Park the car and and call cops, tell them you found the car like that.

Make sure no cameras and you wont be at fault

1 Like

This is going to expensive and much more than you are thinking. File the claim for a situation like this, that’s what the insurance is for. For reference, my brothers Model 3 got damaged on the quarter and rear bumper, estimate was $12K, your damage looks worse.

1 Like

Tesla is notorious for high fender bender repair. But EQS won’t be cheap either, it’s $100k car.

1 Like

Yikes, that repair is going to be way more expensive than your possible insurance premium hike.

2 Likes

My relative just had a similar damage on 23 Pathfinder and it was $9k

1 Like

For starter, I’d way closer to the end of lease to fix it. You don’t know if your wife decided to improve the look one more time😂
Unless you can’t drive it like that. I personally won’t care and drive it like that till end of lease and fix it then. Who knows… unfortunate things happen and car could be totaled before lease end…

4 Likes

Unfortunately yes.
It’s about $350 on eBay or $580 from Mercedes.
It will also require the interior door panel to be removed from the inside to replace the entire thing.

Since it was rear ended, I am guessing the $110 increase was for a no fault accident?

You will be fine your premium will not go up, my wife hit a pedestrian with a car 3 years ago, knock on wood our premium hasnt gone up.

Just park it somewhere and call cops, you found it like that, stop making something so small a serious issue. You will be fine

1 Like

Thats going to be a pricey fix. Quarter panel, 2 doors, handles. Id go with a claim.

Just work thru insurance and worry about it later. Needs to be fixed right and you have a long way to go in the lease