One day trip permit from CA to OR? Sales tax question

, ,

So simple question really, I signed on a new car in CA. They can ship the car up and I won’t pay sales tax. But I’m reading conflicting info regarding sales tax if I do a one day trip permit out of the California state to my DMV office (which is a no sales tax state). Some said you just drive it out and pay reg fees and local state tax when you get to your state,
other posts I’ve seen said you pay then and there (aka agree to sales tax on your payment for remainder of lease)? I have family in CA, so I figured this would make for a good trip down to visit, pick up the car on the way back and drive straight into Oregon same day as pickup. This is a BMW dealer and the car is a new lease and the lease would be registered at an Oregon address.

You’d pay sales tax on any amount up front and then when you register in Oregon, the use tax should be updated for the new registration address. You won’t be paying use tax for the entire life of the lease.

California registration for that drive off is going to be the painful part here if you can’t make it work on a one day trip permit.

So I would pay sales tax on the DAS ($1400), get the one day permit, drive up, register and then back to normal payments?

The cap cost reduction and any taxable incentives. More reason to do a $0 DAS deal.

You’d have to verify the registration questions, but from a tax situation, once you register it in OR, the CA use tax should drop off.

2 Likes

Ahh, I see. I’ll try to work in the 0 DAS and have my payment go up a bit (with sales tax) and then register here ASAP.

Is Loyalty taxable incentives? I have a current BMW and I checked and saw 3000+750 on the applied incentives on the paperwork.

Do the math: the cost of the registration and a month of use tax on the lease payment might pay for the shipping, and avoid a trip to the dmv

Ship the car, save the hassle, if your dealer will allow it (probably since you’ve already got this far as an oos).

1 Like

But if I get a one day trip permit, I get to ignore the registration fees for CA no? Only have to pay sales tax on the taxable incentives (in this case $3750) which raises my payment $11 dollars (if I do $0 DAS). At 36 months, that’s about $400 + the first month payment tax added +/- $100 or so.

For a total of $500 rather than paying $800-$1000 for shipping. I’m only driving the car back because I am doing some business in CA so while I’m there, figured why not pick up the car on the way back.

I just wanted to know if I have to be “stuck” with paying sales tax on payments but it seems it’s only temporary until I register in Oregon?

Does the dealership have one-trip CA permits (402-T) to sell you? Are they handling the OR tag and title work too?

The dealer told me, you deal with reg on your own, we can give you a day pass basically to take the car out of state.