Oil leak in lease vehicle past 36k miles

My car has 37k miles with lease ending this month. I was thinking of buying out vehicle, but noticed oil leak on my driveway. Mazda warranty is 3 year or 36k miles. Am I responsible for this sort of situation during a lease? Never had any issues like this with a lease. Thanks

Technically, yes. Are you certain it’s oil and it’s coming from your lease? Have you had your pre-return inspection done by AutoVIN yet?

Mazda has 5 year 60k powertrain also

It’s definitely oil and from the lease. I haven’t done any pre inspection since I’ve extended my lease 6 months and was planning on buying it. Yes, powertrain is 5 years 60k miles, maybe this falls under that but the dealer service center wanted me to pay upfront. Weird

Is this from engine/oil filter? When did you change the oil last time?

I honestly have no clue where it’s from. Just noticed a puddle on the driveway. I did an oil change a few ago, but I think it’s leaked before my oil change

Who did the oil change? Are you sure you (or if you had someone else do it) did it correctly?

2 Likes

Would be careful to figure out where it’s leaking from before taking it to dealer under warranty claim. If it’s from oil filter, pan, etc, and the put the root cause as non-Mazda shop related or an impact, any corresponding engine damage that may arise from it, will be attributed to this, and effectively they will deny the warranty claim.

Could be as simple as a filter is not tight, hence the leak.

2 Likes

A few days, weeks or months?

Anyway take it to a reputable Indy mechanic. Should be an hour or so labor for the diagnostics.

Either it’s actually leaking which is a pretty bad sign for a 3-ish year old car, and a good reason to dump this car. Or it’s a flawed retightening of the filter or drain plug from your last oil change.

Either way you’ll want to address it ASAP before lack of sufficient oil damages your engine.

4 Likes

Return it. Inspection won’t notice it.

I agree. Return it. Save yourself a future headache.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.