Ohio lease taxes and money down

, ,

In Ohio, leasing a 2024 BMW from a dealer in Illinois.

Dealer agreed to amount down and monthly payment.

Contract shows a higher amount down than agreed upon. Dealer sent an addendum with the dealership finance director’s signature saying they will only collect the amount we agreed to, not the amount in the contract. They have explained OH requires full taxes on lease payments due up front (I’m familiar) and they won’t collect this but have to list it.

They shipped the vehicle to me already. I’ve signed nothing and have $0 paid so far.

I have every intention of moving forward and trust the dealer but feel weird signing the contract that dealer and I both agree is incorrect.

It’s been back and forth and dealer says finance cannot find a way to correct the contract. I’ve sent a signed redlined copy but they said BMW FS requires a clean copy. I asked them to insert “dealer credits/discounts” to get the amount due accurate and they said they cannot for whatever reason.

They literally shipped the vehicle to me and I have it. Good show of trust. I think they’re honest but I’m not sure about why I’d sign an incorrect contract. The addendum is nice but the contract does not officially list the addendum and that’s not an option since it has to be a clean contract supposedly.

Do I push here and hold my ground? Sign it and move on, trusting in the dealer + addendum? Agree to just pay the higher down and then expect to see my monthly payment decrease? Some other recommendation?

I think past Ohio lease deals have (1) inserted a credit they made up to get the amounts to match or (2) literally cut me a check after I paid the higher amount so it net out.

Would love advice here.

Happens often enough. I am in Ohio and they’re correct on taxes upfront.
I also had contracts showing different things vs what I actually paid (e.g. One Pay Frontier, they couldn’t make the sales price lower than the residual value, so contract showed I owe them $6,xxx or something when I only paid $4,9xx (I asked them for some sort of an addendum as well).

Really nothing to worry about, especially so if you have an addendum showing the correct amount of DAS.

Sometimes the contract may vary slightly from what is actually paid by you and/or the dealer, depending on how they structure things. It happens.

My contract with MBFS shows the DAS as like $8900 (MSDs + 1st mo payment) when in reality I only paid $8k (just MSDs, I did $0 DAS). The dealer just paid the first month payment amount out of their own pocket.

If you haven’t paid them yet, then I assume you’re just going to write a check or give them a credit card for the DAS? When you do that just double check the amount and you’re good to go.

The contract isn’t going to change. The dealer is just going to pay the delta on your behalf.

At most dealers, no one knows how to do anything beyond what their computer spits out.

1 Like