Off Topic Landfill

Sorry I assumed everyone had a decent idea of how insurance works, when you lease a vehicle you have to be primary on insurance, you add him to the vehicle but you make him primary on one of the lower insurance cost vehicles (i.e. lower risk, less value, etc.)

So either be dumb and you can pay a large amount of money on insurance, maybe I very poorly articulated my point, either way that saves hundreds of dollars a year and best of all you can’t cry insurance fraud… probably one of the dumbest things I have heard.

Well, not all of us know everything. I leased a few cars and was never asked who is primary or secondary on the insurance. Possibly only on the contract.

Different insurance companies,states, etc. maybe?back when I was getting my 1st car I sent my insurance card to the dealership and they said insurance had to be under whoever was leasing the vehicle, car insurance was brutal for me when I tried to lease in high school and all the way up until I graduated college. Go figure.

Funny I’ve had the phone agent from LM tell me which car to assign my kids to, in order to have the lowest ins cost.

But if the kid gets injured in the accident driving the “wrong” car, LM guarantees they won’t deny medical or property claims for that reason?

Yikes! Insurance fraud much?

I completely agree. I had a job when I was 16, but it was also more practical for my mom and I to share a car – she’s a nurse who works at night, so it generally worked out. My parents paid 2/3 of the payment each month, I paid 1/3, and it prepared me to have a car payment for most of the rest of my life (save for the years I owned my next car free and clear during law school, etc., when I couldn’t have afforded a payment anyway).

no because said kid is still covered on every car you have, we have went over this…

1 Like

it’s like you people don’t read…

As smart as some of you are in lease hacking, you guys have no idea how other things work huh.

1 Like

After seeing how high insurance was on a new car in high school, my parents just added me as a driver to all their existing vehicles, saved me from having a car payment until I got the hc plus I got to use some nice cars, would definitely do the same if I had a kid. My dad’s favorite saying “you break it you buy it,” I was always extra careful with the cars after seeing how he babied all of his rides minus the pickup truck, my mom on the other hand couldn’t give a damn where she parked or who she parked next to. Point is, not taking care of your car is a learned behavior.

Sorry dude, that doesn’t make sense. If you are a kid and a “primary” driver with only liability on some clunker rusting away in the yard, you are still completely covered if you get into an accident on a brand new leased car?

who said only liability? love how you put words in my mouth. Always full coverage…

Just read this guys. Debate is not necessary. This is car insurance 101

Each car should be assigned who the primary user is if there’s any. If not it’s occasional user.

well if we are talking about saving money here, and you have an old car to assign to your kid, why would you put collision on it? Otherwise, with all the safety features and new car discounts, it is probably cheaper to insure a low cost new car.

depends on the car I guess, why would you ever only get liability tho

because let’s say the car costs a couple of grand, full coverage on a kid would cost more to insure per year.

that’s true, but wouldn’t full coverage on your new car cover any driver?

I’ve had car insurance in 4 different states, so I can only speak to how it works in those 4 states. I’ve also had more than one insurance company in each state, and I’ve shopped in all of them, so no I’m not an insurance agent but I understand pretty well how insurance has worked for me, with multiple carriers, in different states with very different insurance rules.

I was responding to another poster who said the broker directed them which car to assign to whom for the lowest rates. If you are talking about teenages who share cars in the family, vs having their own car, then yes it’s more fungible. And while there is coverage for all the adult drivers in the household – usually one way or another – and nobody wants to pay more for insurance than they have to: if there is a 1:1 ratio of vehicles to adult drivers in the house, and the broker/agent is assigning them in a way that isn’t accurate/truthful in order to pay lower premiums (e.g. kid is primary on dad’s Acura because it’s cheaper than their Mustang), it’s textbook fraud. You may never get caught, and yes you can say “I just took their car to store and got hit”, but I know enough insurance law in enough states to know that. People may do it all the time, but that doesn’t make it right.

Just to add: my father and I have the same first name, so when we lived in the same household we could get away with all kinds of shenanigans like this (later, when I learned about my Lexis-Nexis master file, and how it got crosslinked with his, I think naming your kid after yourself should be illegal). But he also worked in law enforcement, and while we didn’t want to spend money on anything we didn’t need, especially insurance (which if you’re lucky, you pay for forever and never use), we were the primaries on our own cars no matter what the impact was to insurance rates. I specifically remember this kind of “wink/nudge” discussion with one of the insurance agents to save a few bucks, and neither parent was interested. I also paid for my own insurance and gas before I had a car, and paid for my own car, and never felt like that was unfair.

It would, what I’m saying it wouldn’t matter who drives which car. They calculate the premium on each car/driver and then add a surcharge for being green.