Off Topic Landfill 5

There doesn’t seem to be any limitation as to which 3rd party dealers can buy out.

As far as monthly payment or immediate equity? It seems like the extra taxes in most states would favor the lease.

2 Likes

This is why I leased.

In MD, you have to pay full sales tax up front (based on the entire price of the car, no prorating) on any lease. barf

1 Like

Ooof - sounds like Texas. WA’s sales tax is obscenely high (at 10.6%) but thankfully is limited to only the monthly lease payments as they are paid, not upfront on the lease cost or the full price of the car.

Makes lease flipping that much harder in MD. But on the flip side, if you buy out your lease, the tax is already taken care of.

these are next to impossible to flip if in MD or VA. The tax eliminates any opportunity. Recommend being very careful. Auction has plummeted on the S Plaid over the past few weeks.

The cheapest Plaid configuration is around $132k all-in. Add a 6% tax rate to that and you’re around $140k. Unless you have a dealer’s license, nobody will pay you MMR for the car. It’s a very very risky proposition. It made sense when MMR was over 150. Right now, unless you’re in NJ, it doesnt.

1 Like

Is it risky to lease a model 3 and flip it in a few months?

If your sole intention is to make money off of it in few months then yes. I would get it only if you intend to drive it for a while and have the possibility to profit in between if that opportunity comes up.

I think the “depreciation” between my current 2019 Model 3 trade in price and what it’s future value will be + tires etc will be greater than the lease payments on a new one.

yeah the speakers are tinny but the user experience is great – gunning it on the highway is fun in the performance models – sticks to the road

4 Likes

“gunning it on the highway is fun in the performance models – sticks to the road”

That’s for sure. The INSTANT power is truly different. The car is so fast if you’re holding something in your hand when you goose it, you might have that thing knocked out of your hand.

The single pedal driving was glorious when deadlocked in a stop/start traffic jam. I didn’t try any of the autopilot features, but I bet they help in those situations too.

I found it funny that every souped up Camaro within 50 miles was attracted to the tesla like flies. It was embarrassing for them, I can assure you. The model 3 performance is NOT a car you give a teenager…

The model 3 performance is NOT a car you give a teenager…

Or even adults (Model S in the story, but basically the same thing).

And make the car a model S plaid and you quickly have a car that is well above the capabilities of just about any casual driver. There was a very serious accident with one of those in my town a few weeks ago and it happened the same day the car was purchased. The car actually landed on the roof of a house and not only killed some of the passengers of the car, but also someone inside the house :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah I’m pretty sure we’ll see government mandated speed controls on electric cars in the future, controlled by software.

Now, AS A PARENT, I’m totally on board with the idea that I can monitor and limit my childs car - but I’m never a fan of this idea when it’s removed to a government body. I have heard and read nothing that leads me to believe this is even on the radar, but I’ve lived long enough to know that governments love things they can regulate and control. And a car that exists in all software puts all of the control in someone else’s hands. Musk could put an update out tomorrow that takes every 3.1 second performance to a 10 second car over night, and without warning.

Once a larger load of 3-second cars are in the hands of just about anyone, it’s going to get… fun… Generally those speeds are reserved for drivers with a lot of income. Not so much any more. Not to mention the sheer amount of weight moving at those rapid speeds. Most drivers aren’t even remotely accustomed to this sort of power.

Consequently, I live very near where that crash occurred. Did they ever say if alcohol played a factor? My county suffers from a major epidemic of drunk drivers. It’s totally bonkers the sheer numbers of dwi’s they pick up each up week.

That’s insane! wow

So sad, killed while being at home: https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local-news/i-team-investigates/tesla-driver-arrested-after-116-mph-crash-kills-two-people-and-a-dog

Wowsersssss… holy crap.