Off Topic Landfill 5

Then I’d look at either a juicebox 40 going into a 50 amp line or a juicebox 48 hardwired into a 60 amp line.

Also, remember that you get a 30% (of the cost of the charger and install) federal tax credit up to $1k for doing this

2 Likes

Yup - I read that the other day. Def helps make the cost a little more reasonable.

A lot of the chargers already have 25 to 30 foot cords on them and in my current house I did exactly as described above. The 14-50 receptacle is literally immediately adjacent to the main panel for convenience, the EVSE is plugged into it immediately adjacent, and there’s more than enough cord length to reach my car.

I’ve installed three or four other EVSE as well at varying distances from the main panel, and it’s not really all that difficult to do if you are reasonably handy. If you are not comfortable around electricity, of course it could become dangerous. The longest distance I installed an EVSE from the main panel was probably 50 feet or so all told. It was about $100 in materials. The cost when hiring an electrician is going to be mostly all labor.

2 Likes

This.

It’s literally pointless to not run a slightly oversized circuit. The increase in cost is almost nothing. Just make sure the breaker in the main panel is sized appropriately for the EVSE.

1 Like

You really do not need a 40 amp level 2 charger for the Wrangler. I charged my volt on a standard 220 line in about 5.5 hours. However, if you are going to run a new line put the full 60 amp circuit. Then it is a simple swap if and when you do have the need.

I got quoted $1500 to run a line to my garage. I opted to just put the line next to my panel, and save $1200 bucks. luckily this is just a change in parking spot, so no big deal. I was not going to spend that type of cash on an outlet install.

Yeah, I think initially anyway, most folks can just charge at 120V with these things and see how it goes. It will probably be 10-12 hours to charge if the battery is completely discharged of usage capacity. The L2 chargers will probably cut that to ~2 hours. Ill be using an L2 (since I already have a couple of them as Ive had a number of pure EVs in the past where 120V charging is not really practical).

Ive had 3 different brands of EVSE and if someone is looking for the low budget no frills option, this fits the bill…Google jadaniell. Ive had ~5 years of service out of this one and it has outlasted two of my 3 GE Wattstation EVSE. One of those GE had a ground fault (which was a nasty failure which I worked with GE engineers to find the root cause of and no final verdict was found), but I can state with certainty after that I added smoke detectors all around my garage :frowning: The replacement GE Wattstation unit they sent lasted about a year and a half before it bit the dust. It appears they switched to a much cheaper and less robust contactor in the unit. Since this time…GE has gotten out of the Wattstation manufacturing business…Yet my old original one with the big industrial contactor (that goes CLUNK!) everytime charging starts is still humming along perfectly 7 or 8 years later…

I actually added a very simple digital meter to the outside of mine.

The most difficult EVSE installation ever, LOL. I think I spent maybe $15 doing it and 45 minutes.

Haha, cheap ass! Talk about saving time and materials.

1 Like

Have any of you guys/gals ended up buying this one? Mine is still going strong…

The mpge is not range, its the miles per gallon gasoline equivalent.

As for range, after having the 4xe for a bit and in the driving I have done with it, it generally gets 28-30 miles of pure battery range with the AC on.

link plz!!!

Sorry wth is this thing lol

1 Like

Polestar 2 (a Volvo).

1 Like

Polestar ! XXXXXX

1 Like

@AutoCompanion what is this BMW deal ? I am from Texas do you have any near by

Yes we can help with BMW.

@IAC can help you as well.

They aren’t that bad of a car . It’s the people who buy them. The wrong people buy them. When a range rover goes into the hands of a cheap stakes of course it’s gonna be unreliable because they don’t want to spend the money to treat the car right

So after buying 80k car, I’m supposed to not be cheap and spend 8k/year on “maintenance” ?

If you treat the car right you won’t need more than a basic oil change.